1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Response Needed Please!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Nov 29, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello everyone,
    My 83 chevy k10 pickup is giving me one more small problem and I need a quick response if possible since I am taking it in to check it out by a mechanic early tomorrow morning. Anway, the problem is that I think the thermostat gasket is broken (that's what my mechanic buddy told me) since there is radiator fluid leaking from what seems like the housing onto the intake manifold. Is there any way to check if its this and not the hose connection with the metallic tie? Also, could it be anything else? How much would it cost to fix at a shop? Thanks a lot!

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If it is the hose, you will see a "trail" down the flange to the manifold. Hoses can seep with age so try tighing clamp first to see if it is loose. If gasket it bad they are about a buck and easy to change (you have to drain fluid though) and a garage might charge you $40 or more to fix it. Make sure thermostat housing bolts are snug too and they rarely just start leaking for no reason.

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Its more than likely the gasket wich costs about $3, would replace the thermostat while its apart too, $5 , and clean the housing real good , put a new clamp on the hose. I would say close to around a $100 at a shop..

4. Tarkus

You used to be able to buy a thermostate and a gasket together for about 4 bucks last time I checked.

5. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

one more question!

Thanks guys...it was the gasket because I took it for a drive and inspected it afterward. As for the thermostat itself, I took a look at the temp gauge while plowing the other week, and tonight when I took it out for a drive...it did not BUDGE. Is this because of the gasket leak or should I replace it as well? It won't cost much more to do in the shop will it? Thanks a million!

6. Tarkus

While you have it apart and coolant out, replace the thermostat too.

7. No reason to take it to a shop. I can do a thermostat change in a chevy engine in about 15 minutes tops.... easiest thing to do, except maybe checking air in tires :p

loosen two bolts, take off housing, remove thermostat, scrape off old gasket, put on new gasket, replace housing, tighten bolts, top off radiator. Oh ya, make sure the engine is cool :yow!:

8. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

let teh truck sit for like 3 hours be4 working on liquids or else ur hands mite get really hot