1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by grass happens, Nov 20, 2008.

1. grass happens

grass happens Junior Member

I apologize if this is somewhere else, but i did try to look, however...
    what are the plastic/glass covers that go over the strobe tube called?(I've seen them tinted and clear) I was trying to help a freind find some, because the only guy in town to have them is quite expensive for what seems to be a realitivly cheap item. Infact, they guy that has them (he specializes in cop cars and such) is the only place we could find them. If ya'll know of a good supplier, well that would be even better!
    Thank you!
  2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well if your talkin about what i think your talkin about ..... i think those are the ones that you see at like AUTOZONE, ADVANCED AUTO PARTS ... the clear tubes with plastic colored sleaves that slip over the strobe tubes (the cheap ones) .... now if you talkin about the SHO ME and WHELEN ... they're actually tinted glass tubes ... they come on blue . amber. red. green ... but there a lil more expensive ...... i hope this helps ...
  3. grass happens

they must be the tinted glass tubes for whelen and sho me. sleeves is what they are called? I feel like a moron. I must have tried every synonym for cover that i could come-up with. His strobe kit cost like 400 or 500$ i assume that would be the slightly nicer set-up.
    Thank you!
  4. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

They're called LENSES
  5. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Are we talking about hideaway strobes here? If so, Ive never seen a lense or sleeve or anything that goes over the bulb. Just the OEM housing that you are installing the light into.
    If we arent talking about hideaway, then I think you either need to pose a pic, part number or be a little more detailed.
  6. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

haha wow.....
  7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I just got my new lenses from Galls yesterday. Look great. Since I am a retired firefighter I took off the blue covers and now they are amber..payup
  8. nmsnow

nmsnow Junior Member

911EP used to make a product called Dome Tubes. They were lenses that fit over the actual bulb and were available in several colors and tints.
  9. grass happens

THAT is what they were. Thank you.
  10. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Am I mistaking but didn't I say earlier that they were Lenses??? :dizzy: