1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BlueDog Ram, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BlueDog Ram

BlueDog Ram Junior Member

Hey guys Im new to the site and looking for suggestions. I've been reading on and off and it really seems like you guys are helpful and knowledgeable!

On to the question.. Im looking at a 1999 Ram 2500 4x4 QC LB with a western plow (don't really know the size yet) and 103k miles for 13k. Problem being is it is on a rebuilt title (everything looks good, frame is straight). Good deal or no? I offered him 10k cause I told him a rebuilt title shouldn't be worth that much. Do you guys think it would make for a good DD/plow truck?

Thanks for you help in advance!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Is it diesel or gas? Auto or manual? If it's a diesel w/ auto then I'd say your offer of $10k is fair. A marked title in the eyes of a bank makes the truck worthless. You can't obtain a loan on any vehicle that has a clouded title so make sure you can pay cash for it.

If you end up buying it make sure you post some pictures...we love pictures!!!

3. BlueDog Ram

**** you're right.. I have a trade in worth around 9k which I still owe 9k on it, and I was gonna throw in 1k cash. Bank prolly won't go for that, eh?

4. BlueDog Ram

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

General rule of thumb, a vehicle with a rebuilt/branded title is worth 50% of the non repaired one. A vehicle which you buy wrecked from the bank auction is worth 25% of the value before it gets fixed. (salvage pricing)

Personally for a plow truck a rebuilt tile is perfect, since once you put a plow or a 5th wheel hitch into a truck it is declaired at aution as a structual dammaged vehicle. Thus the value of the vehicle goes down. So if you can find a great deal on a rebuilt truck go for it, for you will have less invested into your truck. With that said you can technicially get two for one!!!

DAFF

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, if you could get it for 10K that would be a steal. It says Cummins in the ad so heck yeah go for it. If it is a salvage from a flood or something like that walk away but if it is from an accident why not. I mean you cant see anything wrong so that means it was probably repaired correctly.

Camden has a point though, a bank probably wont give you a loan so... the dealer may want to dump it for 10K if you rub that in a little. Not many people would want to or could come up with $14,000 cash for a used truck.

Check to be sure the mileage is accurate, seems low to me. I think once a title is marked they can turn the mileage back without any issue.

Good Luck, if everything checks out its great buy if you ask me (even for 12K)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  7. BlueDog Ram

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Problem being is that I would need a loan. If they could get me a loan even better.

Maybe it's just low miles 'cause of the accicent? Who knows what was repaired.. coulda taken someone a long time. I don't know though. I've seen other trucks like that w/ 150k go for like 14-15k in the area, so this is a good deal w/ or w/o the branded title. I just can't see spending 15k on a used truck only to put a plow on for another couple thousand when I can pick this thing up ready to go for even 13k.

On a side note.. do you think it would be worth the effort of a plow to do some sub work in the area and maybe pick up a few accounts of my own? Im confused with all the commercial vehicle stuff. Basically, I'd have to open a "business" and put this thing under the company name? Was thinking of doing lawn care in the summer too. Anything would be better than working at Lowe's... :dizzy:

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

1999 watch out for 53 block on the engine. search google about it.

I have a 1999 and a 2001 strong trucks. Steering problems been sorted out then you are good to go. Hell the engine is worth $7000 any day and the tranny is $2500 to have it rebuilt. Check the wear on the tires and it might let you know more about the steering.

I paid $14500 last year for my 1999 with 220 000 kms it has 300 on it now only done tires brakes and oil changes. It was a private sale and dude was asking $15900 but it sat for a month with no one able to come up with the money.

I dont know the situation with banks lending on items over 5 years old.

9. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Get a line of credit!! You can use the money with no questions asked. If you own a house and have a ok credit it is possible. In today's market the banks are getting super strict with loaning $$$. Expecially for older vehicle loans. If you can get the line of credit go for it if not save the cash up and buy a truck outright. In business the best decidions are the ones which are thought out, the ones which are spur of the moment or inpulse purchases will get you in trouble.

DAFF

10. BlueDog Ram

**** that truck. I just got back from looking at it and man what a hunk of junk. The trans wasn't shifting properly and they couldn't give me an explanation as to why it had a rebuilt title. I think Ill just keep looking.. there's bound to be more out there. :realmad:

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

x2 on the 53 block. do you know if they beefed up the trannie when they rebuilt it? sounds like it has alot of updated parts on it which is a good thing. I would check for fuel pressure also, there is a test fitting on the injection pump i thik it should be above 8 psi at idle, not sure though, all those 24 valves have bad lift pumps. im sure you already know. my 2001 has a fuel pressure light that lights up if the pressure drops below 2 psi there only 60 bucks and a good investment. my 2001 has cooked 2 lift pumps in 35k miles and no injector pump:) i would alos pop the air cleaner tube off the turbo and check for any play in the turbo bearings. Does the truck have gauges on it with the edge box? looks like a sharp truckussmileyflag

12. BlueDog Ram

Not a sharp truck. In person it is a POS that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole for over 7k. Ill just keep on lookin..

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Smart move. rebuilt title is almost impossible to get a loan on. Plus 98.5-02 are not the best CTD out there. You need an injector pump every 100k or so and thats 2g. They are out there and used car market is tanking a bit now. Keep looking you will find one. That truck you are upside down on rigth away no matter what. No one really wants a rebuilt title.

14. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

15. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

that is a nice one big dave, and its a 12 valveussmileyflag

16. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

17. BlueDog Ram

Unfortunately, Im looking for a quad cab since this is going to be my DD also. I have a gasser single cab already and it's okay for me and the lady but forget about more than 2 in there; too cramped. I've noticed Im prolly going to have to travel to get a good truck too, huh? Seems like everyone around me is afraid of diesels..

Thanks for the help guys!