1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

There is this truck for sale not far from me. Its a 1983 F-250 4x4,automatic, 6.9 liter diesel, with an 8 foot fisher plow, with a utilty body on it. The Truck and cab are very soild and have almost no rust on them. I wanted to know if there were any bad things about the 1983 years. Such as frame and drive train. Yes I know that it has the TTB front end. Need feedback A.S.A.P. THANKS
  2. Sharpshooter77

Oh yea what kind of tranny did they put behind the 6.9 liter diesel?
  3. J29

J29 Senior Member

More than likely it is a C6 automatic. Very stout tranny. Other than the TTB front end, that's a good setup in my opinion. Good luck. J.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I drove that engine and tranny combo for many years in ambulances. They are very tough and I never had a C-6 die under me. A friend of mine put over 280K on his and it died when a chick T-Boned him in an accident.They are not even as strong as a power stroke but they get decent MPG and last for along time. Repairing the front end is straight forward Ford repairs. It should have the Dana 44 in it, a decent axle. Most of the parts are the same all the way to 93.Expect to replace brake lines and other things, it's just a part of buying an old plow truck.
  5. Sharpshooter77

I still want to take a look at it. I talked to the owners brother at the time and he said that some popped the door locks, he also said that the ignition lock was also popped but you can start it with a screw driver. And it needs 2 new batteries, because someone stole the other ones. I am hopeing that it has a good fuel system and a good run motor. If I do but this truck this will be my first diesel and is there anything inparticular I should watch for.
  6. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Hours-- just cuz the mileage is reasonable doesn't mean the motor isn't half in the bag. Alot of the drivers of those trucks in that age group had the traditional diesel thinking-- let it idle instead of shutting it off. I don't know of anything than checking compression and looking hard at the linkage for the throttle for wear to get an idea of how worn it may be with out an hourmeter. Anybody else feel free to correct me on this:D I never owned any from that era but my friends with excavating companies seemed to tear the motors out every few years to freshen them up. Most are still on the road tho.
  7. The C6 in nearly bulletproof if properly taken care of, much better than todays electronic overdrive transmissions. Your main concern will be the engine and how well it has been maintained. Things to look out for would be:
    Check color of oil
    Check for rear main leak
    Check for oil leaking out of the exhaust manifolds

Good luck!
  8. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

i saw that on craigslist.com , looks like a good deal prsport
  9. bigboss1

bigboss1 Member
    from pa

great truck i got an 85 f350 diesel is great trans and engine are strong wesport not so fast but its all good to me
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A friend of mine had an old ambulance with the with the 6.8 and the non-button overdrive transmission. It had 350K on it when a dump truck tee-boned it at an intersection and killed it. Another guy I work with has a 89 F-250 2WD and it's near 400K smokes a bit but starts right up.