1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by james1115, Feb 9, 2012.

1. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

ok so I am picking up a plow for my new truck tomorrow and I need some advice. I can get a 8ft hd trip edge plow everything included for $2550 or a poly vxt 9'2 for $2500 both plows are 3 years old and in excellent shape with all mounting,wiring,and controls for my truck. I have a 2008 dodge ram quad cab cummins 6.7 so my question is are both of these plows going to be too heavy? the boss site says I can only put a 7.5 straight blade on. The 8ft trip edge weight 790 and the 9'2 poly v weighs 822 so the difference is very small between the 2. What should I do guys and will my front suspension handle both of these plows?

2. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

anyone?????????

3. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

get the 9-2 Vee you will love it. they are amazing plows once you get a vee plow there is no way that you will ever go back to a straight blade.

4. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

will I need to upgrade my suspension?

5. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

I've heard some people saying that some v plows are heavy enough to void a warranty. Our local plow dealer has talked a few customers out of the v plows because of this. Not sure if that is the case for you with a 2008 and these guys were talking about Fords if I remember right.

6. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

ok I thought it went by weight, maybe I am mistaken.

7. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

My vote- Timbrens and the VXT you will be fine, other than your typical wear parts. ussmileyflag

8. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

ok so I went with the 8ft trip edge. I got it installed and it looks great. My only question is I am having difficulty steering without hitting the throttle. Is this common with the heavy diesel engine and the plow combination? also the headlight adapters didn't match up because he had a 04 dodge ram and I have a 08 dodge ram so I still need to get the adapters I need. Does anyone know the part I need?

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

loose fan belt?

10. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

It was a little low on ps fluid so I filled it up and will check it out later and would a loose fan belt do that?

11. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

a loose or bad belt will cause poor steering, poor alternator operation and possibly run a little warmer being on a serpentine belt in that truck

12. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

I will look at it tomorrow for signs of wear. It only has 44kthe on it. Isn't that a little young to be having belt issues? My other ram 2500 went 70k before I changed the serp belt.