1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick question - wiring of course

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Whiffyspark, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

2004 dodge ram 2500

I'm trying to wire up an 11 pin harness for it. I was looking for a headlight adaptor and it says i NEED a 13 pin harness for this truck, is this true?

I see 11 pin is rt2, but this is rt3 as far as I can. It's a straight blade.

I need to purchase a relay pack as well, Don't I?

Any other suggestions?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

RT3's were 11-pin for a few years (until the switchover to SmartHitch 2) so having an 11-pin RT3 isn't that uncommon. There's still many alive today.

Yes you must use a 13-pin harness on these trucks. The headlamp system is very very fussy about added circuits therefore is not compatible with the older 11-pin harness.

3. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Can the plow be converted to 13 pin?

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

B&B,

I can't find any part numbers anywhere.

I've found MSC04316 vehicle side.
    MSC04317 Plow side.

I can't find a light adapter.

I don't even know if it's compatible.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You found the correct harness numbers on your own. You could also use an MSC8001 truck side harness instead of the MSC04316 if you want the dual burn feature while you're upgrading.

You didn't find any headlamps adapters for your application because the harness already has the correct headlamp connectors for your truck (HB5). Thus no adapters are needed.

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

B&B,

I got the Harnesses. I wired up the truck side with no issues, now i'm working on the plow side

Obviously I have the old style headlights on the plow, no funds to upgrade at the moment. So I'm going to make the wires work.

This is what I'm thinking:

Green - White/Yellow on new harness
    Red - Red/Yellow
    Then Ground the Brown wire in the headlight housing

That part is simple. in my opinion

The confusion comes in the Turn Signal wiring

I have a ground, brown and red. Then there is two pinks, Two yellows, and one ground in the new harness

The only thing I can think of is wire the two pinks to the red, two yellows to broke, and ground to ground

Any advice?

Thanks, You're very helpful!

[​IMG]

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't use the grounds connected to the plow lamp mounts, utilize those in the new harness to ground the headlamps, turns, markers. Otherwise you miss out on all the advantages of updating to a new harness. So, cut that white and gray loose from the light bracket and tie them to the harness grounds.

On the plow headlamp connector, red is usually high beam, green is usually low beam so double check after you have them working.

And tie the gray into the white/yellow in the new harness as that is the dedicated plow lamp ground (ie common). Don't tie it to the brown ground. That is for the turns/markers only.

8. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

well i've tried every combination i can think of. I got the Turn signals working, no headlights

what puzzles me is i don't even have power at the wires for headlights. Theres no constant power. Maybe i'm over looking something stupid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well you can't hardly expect them to work without power. So, you either have an issue to straighten out on the truck side first, you simply didn't flip the plow/truck toggle to the plow position, said switch isn't doing it's job, or you don't have the ignition on. It has to be on for the plow lamps to receive power.

But regardless you have to get power to the lamps first.

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

The truck headlights work fine with no issue. I have power through the harness for turn signals but not for the headlights. Did I ground them correctly?

I don't think any connectors are lose but I'm going to check again.