1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question - Security Guard

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tonygrig94, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Hey guys,

I have a quick question regarding the Western Security Guard feature... I leave my plow at my shop when I am not using it. What is stopping someone with a Western Plow Mount installed on their truck from driving in hooking up and leaving? I guess what I am saying is, where is the pass code stored because if it is stored on the hand held or on the wiring harness then that means someone can come pick it up and beat feet with my new investment...

Please let me know if I am confused, because I am not so much worried about someone stealing the plow OFF of my truck as they would need to break into the truck, disconnect the plow and drag the 800lb plow away from the truck.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Code is stored in module on the plow.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

But to also answer your question, there's nothing stopping someone from stealing your plow.

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Unfortunetly it happens. If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i use hitch locks and block the plow in to make it a little more difficult to steal. they first have to move a truck or the building, and then either have to cut the locks off to snatch it, or use a machine to lift it onto a flat bed.

6. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

My worry is someone with the same set up as me just simply driving in and taking it... after i just spent x amount on it.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that is why i use the hitch locks so you can not flip up the frame locks and lock it in.
    you will have to make noise to get it, and it is also under a 24 hour camera so even if they do get it, the faces and truck will be on video. and the DVR is also hidden away from all the electronics so if they break in and steal the electronics they will not get the DVR with their faces on video.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

.45 & .38
    12 gauge with buckshot
    AR with a full magazine

Extra mags for the .45 and AR. Lots of extra ammo for the 12 gauge.

2 dogs, one way out. Good luck.

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I had a metal fabricator now me some pins for my uni-mount and put pad locks on both ends. I know it won't work for the ultra mount plows so maybe a chain and pad lock.

10. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

You guys have it all figured out! For the time being i put a chipper in front of it that is locked up so they will have a tough time. All is good, just the western security system needs to be looked at. If they had a computer on the pump side of the plow maybe inline with the wires it would make sense. This way it could store combinations and not run unless the correct one was entered rendering the plow useless other wise.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The code is stored in two places, in the handheld controller and in the plow module. If someone with the same setup hooks up to your plow they can only activate it if they have your handheld controller (with your matching code). Of course if they know your code they can enter it but otherwise the controller will have a fast blinking red light. (A slow blinking red light means communication error.)

The people at Western don't make is that simple to steal your plow. Just remember that if your controller fails or gets lost you need to remember your pin number to enter into the new controller. We occasionally get people who have lost their number and need to clear it. This is possible but only by a qualified factory trained Western plow mechanic. There is a special tool and procedure but it's not available to end users for obvious reasons.....

12. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Now I did email Western directly and they told me the code is stored on the truck side keeping someone who isn't supposed to be operating the plow from doing so. They state that if my plow were to be picked up by another truck it would work with their controller even without the code.

13. mishnick

Either you got bad information or misunderstood. If the code were stored only on the truck it would be redundant. The system will not ask you for the code if your plow and controller match. If you put a new controller on a coded plow it will not work and if you put your coded controller on another plow it will not work. Just as your bank card has two matching numbers, the one in your head and the one on file at the bank. If they don't match you can't withdraw money, that's basic electronic security.

14. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

15. coke813

coke813 Member

mishnick has got it right.
    To the OP's question, there would be nothing stopping someone from driving up to a "locked" plow and hooking up and dragging it down the road. But they will not be able to lift/operate it, making it pretty useless.

16. mishnick

Just today I had to clear a plow with a fast red blinking light. (indicating mismatched pin code) The operator said they never put a code in but somehow the plow thought it did. We tried to clear the code from the cab but it didn't work. I ended up having to connect the special grey controller directly to the plow with the test breakout connector to eliminate the controller cable on the vehicle. I suspect there was some problem with the length of the twisted pair communication wires or plugs somewhere between the controller and the plow. After clearing the code there everything went back to normal.

17. tonygrig94

tonygrig94 Junior Member
    from NE PA

Guys thank you for clarifying I am going to have to add a pin to my controller rendering my plow useless to anyone else!

Thank you!

18. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

So you know how to steal the plow ;) Thumbs Up

19. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

what was the first yr for security lock .

20. mishnick

Not sure what year they came out but it has to be five or more years. The first plow I recall with this was the roll-out of the wide-out. As far as I know all plows with Multiplex four pin controllers had the security system built in right from the start. So the easy way to tell if you have the security guard is by looking at the handheld controller. If it has a four pin plug it has it, more pins than four and it doesn't have it.