1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question on Triggers

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by doomxz670, Oct 27, 2013.

1. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

This may seem like a silly question but if you have a 2" trigger and get a storm with 7" do you plow 3-4 times or wait till the end? Obviously the more times the more money correct?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only if its your only account. 2 inch trigger is when you head out to plow. Then do your route and keep going back till it stops snowing ,So more then likely there will be more then 2 inches on the ground when you come back.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say depends on what the customer wants & pays for, make sure to charge more the deeper the snow you got to plow.

4. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

So at 2 inches you'd most likely head out at keep making the rounds thru them until it stops? I've plowed a lot in the past but this is my first year setting up accounts just want to get it right

5. grandview

That's what I do.

6. BC Handyman

yup, sometimes they specifiy on 1 time per 24 hrs or 1 time every 12, usually resi 1 or 2 times max per day, where as commecial could be several times if thats what they want.

7. grandview

Sell them a seasonal contract. No fuss no muss.

8. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I'm also a new guy.

If you have a trigger of 2" for a few residential driveways, and they're predicting 4" of snowfall... Is it unheard of, or frowned upon, to wait until the snow stops and make one pass at all your clients instead of heading out at 2" and coming around a second time?

9. BC Handyman

no it is not unheard of, but sometimes it depends when that 4" falls.

10. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

You mean during the day vs overnight?

11. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Here is what I have done in the past it works for me, but I'd like to hear from my guys who have been at this awhile. We have a 2" trigger but we get 6". For the sake of this post lets say it is a resi, and we charge $10 per 2". 6" is a fair amount so what happens is we come out clear the drive way and bill for 6" which= $30.00
    It is at this point I should mention that for bigger storms we plow with the storm.
    Any questions comments or concerns?

12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

In my case, a 2 inch trigger is when I head out to plow if that is what my contract states. Then after I have cleared through my route, I either head home to wait till the snow reaches another 2 inch depth, or I wait for the snow to finish falling depending on the amount we are supposed to get. For my commercial jobs, if the snow comes over night, I just plow them out before morning, and I ignore the 2 inch trigger. If the snow fall is during the day, I keep the entrances, and drive lanes open at the 2 inch trigger, then go back and plow the whole lot after the storm. I charge for a full plow every time I drop a blade on the customers lot. That makes up for the differences of 2 inch triggers, or waiting till the storm ends throughout the season.

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

So they are calling for 4" of snow. Some of the guys on per plow, 2" triggers start plowing at 2". By the time they make their first pass everywhere 3" has fallen. Now the first drive has 2" back in it but the last only has 1". Do you guys now go back and plow all the drives again and bill for 2 pushes or do you only do the ones that have 2" in them. As a customer I'm sure I would be upset to have 1.5" of snow in my drive or have been billed twice to push 2.5" and 1.5".

I really don't understand this per push contract.

14. grandview

Its a American thing.ussmileyflag

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It must be. Try that once here and you'll be looking for new customers.

Here it is all seasonal except for a few exceptions and personally I find that easier to handle. It does have it's draw backs too. I know a guy that does driveways on a 2" trigger, seasonal contract and he won't go it there is 1.75". He loses a few people every year because of it.
    The best way to look at it, if the Town's plowing you better be out. Won't have to many happy customers if they have a foot of snow at the end of their drives.

Having said all this, I don't do driveways. :p

16. grandview

We know, Your wife comes on here all the time bitching about how she has to shovel the driveway,

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think she could honestly say she has never shoveled one in her life. I won't have a plow on my truck this year so it will be snowblow or shovel this year.

18. grandview

Hire someone?

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Now that would be funny.
    If I had a driveway like yours I would be worried. Mine is 20x50 and if it's a crazy snowfall I will bring one of the plow trucks home.

I have an extra 2 stage and single stage so I'm thinking I'll bring the single stage home for the winter.