1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question on my Western Uni Mount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike 97 SS, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hey guys, I was gonna take my plow off today, but the piston wont go all the way down. Its a Western Uni Mount. Usually I drop it down, leave key on and solenoid control turned on, walk over to the plow and just push with some force on the lift arm and the piston goes down no problem. Today, no matter how hard I push it, will not go down. I even let someone else work the control up and down as I applied downward force to it, no go. So my question is, what is some possible things that can be wrong, or is it time to bring it to the plow repair shop. I dont wanna take the plow off now since I cant compress the piston fully. :confused: Mike

2. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Mike when that happens on mine its because i dont have the plow in the float postion green light on with cab command , have had it happen to me a few times when taking off for the year, a couple of full up and downs the last down full float and i can push the piston down the rest of the way to loosen chain slack.

3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

try diconnecting the electrical and pushing down. if it doesn't go down re-connect and have someone push on the down or float while you push on the lift arm.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

OK, today when i got to work, and lowered the plow, I walked over to it with key on and solenoid on and pushed down on the lift arm and it went right down. Later in the day, I tried it again and no go, it wouldnt go down. If I put a crow bar in there so I can get more leverage and push down, it goes, but kind of tight, not as easy as it always has been. JK, I didnt try what you said above, I totally forgot, but I will give that a shot. Thanks for the replies so far. This ever happen to anyone else?? Mike

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Don't try it with the electrical disconnected,it will not go down,and if you force it you may damage something.

Does the plow float fine when your using it ? If you have to hold down the button to get it to go all the way down,maybe the contraoller is bad and it won't stay in the flaot position ?

Could it be frozen ? and the fluid is slushy ? That would make it tough to retract.Check your electrical connections too,as they may be dirty or corroded.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I have the solenoid control, where you just tap it down and the plow falls completely and the solenoid springs back to the middle float position. Everything else works perfectly normal, left, right, up, and down. No strange noises or anything. Well I guess when I go to take it off, if it wont go down, Ill get the big ole sledgehammer out and give the lift arm one good whack, she'll go down, LOL. :D Seriously though, one thing I did notice, the seal around where the piston comes out, is starting to leak ever so slightly, I mean its so little, but its not BONE DRY like it used to always be. I wonder if this has anything to do with the piston not wanted to go fully down? I also checked the fluid and it was down quite low, I stuck something in there to the bottom and when I pulled it out, the fluid was only about an inch and a half high. After managing to get the piston fully down, I filled the fluid to the very top and capped it up. I hope that was the right way, I believe I read here thats how you do it, fill to very top. The plow is 10-11 years old and I honestly never checked the fluid level before and never changed it either. The little bit that was in there looked perfectly pinkish in color and not dirty whatsoever. Since I filed it, as stupid as it sounds, I didnt even try to push the arm down anymore, maybe it is better now. I had to move the truck to work on someone elses car and I forgot to try it since. Does the level only being about an inch or inch and a half up sound awfully low? Worked fine before I filled it and doesnt do anything any better being full now. Just wondering. Mike

7. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

mike,
    you overfilled the unit. there should be a plug in the front of the pump. take the plug out and let the fluid drain until the fluid is even with the pipe plug.

try that, and see if the piston will go down all the way.

8. paul soccodato

Mike, did you fix it?

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I havent tried to push it down anymore, the truck has been parked all weekend. I did however call my local plow shop regarding how far to fill the fluid. They told me the same exact thing as I did. With pump all the way down, take plug out and fill to very top, and cap it up. Tomorrow when I go to work, Im gonna try to push it down and see if it goes. Thanks for the interest Paul. :drinkup: Mike

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is the correct procedure for filling it.Most people don't compress the lift ram first,and then fill it up,which actually overfills the unit.

11. paul soccodato

mike,
    that way of filling the fluid does'nt sound right.
    remove the fill and fluid level plugs, compress the ram and fill the fluid until it runs out of the fluid level hole.
    if your plow has a fluid level plug (on the driver side front corner of the reservoir).
    some older models don't.
    my older conventional mounts get filled to the bottom of the fill hole.