1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question on chain lubricant.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtnzone, Oct 20, 2010.

1. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

WE have three belt driven sanders and two chain driven Sanders. Always have wondered what others do to maintain their chains throughout the season.. what do you find is the best lubricant?? what do you use on it for summer storage??

Just curious as it seems like everyone has a different method..
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid Film!
  3. Dnotarianni

Dnotarianni Junior Member
    from RI

Drive chains I use spray on Never-Sieze and auger chains in the hopper I use drain oil
  4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I'm trying my luck this year with a windex bottle filled with ATF-for the chain, and all other areas that are starting to corrode (plow and truck frame too). It sprays very nicely and is very handy for cutting oil I find. Should save a bit of money going that route. I dumped drain oil (mix of 10-30 and 15-40) in the drag chain while the spreader was running before I stored it-that seems to have worked pretty well for the past 2 years.
  5. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

JB80 Chain lube........... It's "Twice" as good.
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I have used something called Chain Wax, i figured if it was good enough for my dirtbike, it was good enough for my sand spreader

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i would listen to him and anyone who has doubts should read this blog post about an article from Plant Services. In an interview with Maintenance Supervisor Manuel T. Pavao, James J. Joyce, Editor-West, details the corrosion problems of diesel locomotives in salt-harvesting operations and their solution by using Fluid Film.

8. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

Quick question doesnt that attract debris like sand onto the chain??
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome back! Where you been?
  10. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

We applied Lubra Seal to our two spreaders this spring and we will be putting a coat on when they go back on the trucks in the fall - they suggest a spring and fall treatment.

Prior to coating them with Lubra Seal, we washed them thoroughly with Neutro Wash at the end of the season.

This is our first season with these products, so I'm not sure how well they're going to work.

SKYNYRD Senior Member

thanks:waving: i been busy with work and projects and whatknot, aint found too much time to get off of lawnsite and come over here for a visit:blush2:
  12. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member