1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick question for you experienced guys

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Holland, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

They are calling for snow today that will turn to freezing rain mix tonight. My thought is to not plow till morning so the ice is on top of the snow instead of on the ground. Sound like a good idea? All my drives are friends and family and half of course are for free (mom, dad, etc) so id rather not have to throw salt if i dont have too. Thanks in advance!!
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a good idea. the one thing you don't know is how much snow will fall before and if it rains after. If it snows a little amount and then changes to rain or sleet it might all be ice. The temps are supposed to be warmer tomorrow as well. I would monitor what happens and decide. I would personally just wait until it is all over
  3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

being that its residential, I would just wait until the morning hours and plow, then salt it (the ones that pay). Also, if its like 3 and theres snow on their drives id plow the ones that pay out too before they get home and then again before they leave in the am.

If its commercial I look at it just from the timing of the storm. We will go out an presalt all the accounts that are open, that way can just move the snow really easily, and it doesnt bond to the pavement. Then after final plow, salt again and done. The accounts we dont presalt, we have to salt heavy because of the ice formed underneath, which is what will happen today/tonight. Snow, warmer air temps cold ground temps. A small amount of the snow will melt to the bottom and since the ground is insulated by the snow from the warmer air, it freezes and you get nice layer of ice on the ground. You presalt you dont get that. The snow/ice cant bond to the pavement.
  4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

good info! Never thought of the presalt. I have a real mother of a drive thats basically one big uphill turn. Its a pain to get clean. I'll try to presalt. Thanks!