1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Question...Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PeterG, Nov 21, 2010.

1. PeterG

PeterG Member

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD. I noticed a couple times over the summer that when I would start driving after having the parking brake on that there was a really loud screeching coming from the rear for about the first half a mile or so. Now whenever im in the truck the screeching goes from the time I back out until I put it back in park. It seems like the rear brakes arent releasing all the way but im not sure. Oh and now I dont even have to have used the parking brake for it to make the noise, it does it after just being in park.

Thanks in advance.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Take the rears apart and blow out all the rust and lube everything up. Watch for broken parts when taking apart as there may be a broke spring or something in there.

Try to take some Fluid Film and spray up the e-brake cable as well while you are back there.

3. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Happenned to my 98 2500HD this summer as well, jammed wheel cylinder on on side and sticky parking brake cable. Drum & linings on left side were scrap because of it, not a cheap fix with the full floating rear axle. I did the brakes on both sides while I was at it. Drums $100ea, Linings $100, Cylinder $25, Spring kit $20, and I had to change some rusty brake lines, tubing is cheap, but what a PITA timewise.

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I believe the 2001 HD's are disc in the rear. If this is the case, chances are the shoe linings have come apart inside the drum portion of the brake rotor. Pretty common issue actually. Only way to fix it is to replace e-brake components. Pretty easy to do, just take off rear wheels, remove brake caliper and caliper holding bracket ( usually easier to remove as one unit ), and remove the brake rotors. Inside the brake rotors there are e-brake shoes and a spring. Check the shoes, the usually crack and come apart. The other issue is it the brake rotor could be contacting the dust cover so check that as well. Good luck and let me know what you find.

5. PeterG

PeterG Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow.

6. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

If you have many miles on the rotors have fun getting them off. They suck balls because the inner "drum" that the ebrake clamps on develops a lip around the inner edge and it cause the rotor to get stuck on the brake shoes.

7. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Yup that's what I encountered when I tryed removing mine. Any suggestions on how to get them off.

8. bill7101

bill7101 Member

adjust the parking brake star adjuster all the way down and pry them off, if you adjust them all the way down you can usually get them off unless they are hanging up, then its usually a mess and clips get broken

9. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

if the rotors are shot anyway -i use a 20lb maul to just 'smack them off' and then buy the spring/hardware kit instead of re-using the crusty and rusty springs. if you have a good auto parts place they can get the spring kits and they aren't too much (like $20 or something) for the ease of re-assembly.

10. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

I wish it were that easy. Just this past week we had one in the shop we beat the rotors so bad they broke clean off the hub part. It was a plow truck that seemed as if it never got washed ever. Plus you got to be careful to not bend the rear backing plates or they will rub and you will chase it trying to find the spot its hitting. PIA