1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick question about uni to ultra conversion, wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ACA L&L, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

so i picked up a uni mount blade for zero cost, is in good shape. had the dealer install the blade/wiring set up on to the chevy truck, it has the ultramount with the conversion for uni mount set up bracket wise. the wiring looks the same as my ultramount on my dodge, 3 plugs, blade has upgraded lights, i asked him if i wanted to pull in and hook up the ultra mount to the chevy would that be possible with the wiring that is on the truck? he said no i would need new harness/set up to convert that part. The mount is a ultrra already with the conversion so the blade will fit, he said.
    My question is what would I need to do to the wiring? get the plug /module for those lights? entire new harness? or does it just plug in? And if i tried to plug it in would it blow fuses or modules, is just trying this a bad idea?:bluebounc Kinda lost when it comes to the western wiring thing, any help or ideas would be awesome. thanks

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If it has three plugs at the grill and an isolation module then you can hook up to any ultramount straight blade with three plugs. The new generation of ultra straight blades are multiplexed so they have only two plugs like the MVP+ and Wide-outs. Still, to hook up to one of those wouldn't be difficult, you would have to add a second power cable (without a relay, straight power from battery) and a second control cable which needs to be spliced in parallel to the headlight harness. You would have two control plugs in the dash and four plugs at the grill. But that is only if you try to hook up to a brand new multiplex straight blade. There are lots of regular three plug ultra straight blades around and they will certainly work. Whoever told you it wasn't possible is either on crack or illinformed.

3. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

he was the owner....small town shop guy...I live in a town of around a million people and i have to drive 3 hours to get decent service.....the local shops, all two of them, charge 7k for a new meyer blade!! they dont do western or anything for that matter but new installs.......i will be testing the swapping out of diffrent plows tomm, and looking for a new ultramount set up foir the chebby asap.......the fact that i got the plow free was awesome now that i see they had to install the nultramount first then convert it to uni makes me happy.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Forgot to mention it only costs us $1100 plus the cost of the newer style lights and a new motor and controller. so total cost to me was around $1400 plus tax. I showed up with a unimount blade and set i could pick it up i a week..................he called 3 days later and said come on back when you can........i was scared whe he said he had to replcae some parts on the plow, all i could think of was man he we go, turns out it was just athe motor and some hardware..........i will be going back when we need to without question.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This issue of dealers only wanting to do new installs nad no service is common and a direct result of Western's warranty policy. When something fails the dealers are pretty much paying out of pocket. Western does provide good tech support but they don't take any responsibility for problems. They will help you through troubleshooting on the phone but when you finally find the problem they will only give you a credit for the time "they" feel it should take to fix the end problem. Four hours of troublshooting (on their advice) to find a bad valve and you get compensated 20 minuts for changing the valve. You get nothing for the time troubleshooting. Then to add insult to injury, even though you are doing what they tell you to do you have to spend the time to write up your process and submitt it. You would think when they tell you what to do that they could just give you an RMA number to make referance to the instructions they gave you and the conclusions they came to. At my shop a lot of the failed parts will sit forever and simply get written off after a year because the office has forgotten what their story was. Of course this costs them money but they say it takes more time in administration than the compensation is worth. Bottom line is they want to sell new stuff but don't want to service it.