1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick question about rocker panels

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Jan 6, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

I want a quick fix for my rocker panels on my 83 chevy k10 truck. Can I just sand off the rust (they also have holes in them) and bondo them, sand them and paint it all? Thanks.
  2. PackRat

PackRat Member
    from Kansas

It'd look good, for a little while. Eventually, they will rust through, from the inside out. If your going to keep the truck awhile, I'd have new rockers and cab corners put in.

Some of the less reputable car lots do that trick to peddle old trucks. They shoot the fenders, rockers, and corners full of expanding foam, then cut off the excess, sand, prime and paint. Looks pretty good, until the rust starts bubbling the fresh paint.
  3. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Juts buy a cheap set of aftermarket rockers and trim them to fit and the just pop rivit them over whats there. Use tin snips, a die grinder with a cutoff wheel or even a sawzall.

May not look perfect but sure better than looking at rust holes.

Good luck,
    Mark K
  4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Cheapo rockers should only cost you $10 -$15 anyway. If you have acess to someone who can MIGthem on, it will take minutes to do. Blend the seems with fiberglass and you're good to go. Don't forget that those thin rocker panels provide some ridge support for the cab, so its in your best interest to do it right the first time.