1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick question about an arctic plow

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by deckboys, Oct 28, 2007.

1. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

i got a 7.5' arctic....
    is it normal for the bolt at the "A" frame at the top to have play??
    any other parts to pay attention to?
    thanks for the input

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is not supposed to be stiff. You have to be able to move it a little but what do you mean by play. I hope you can't move it 1/2". On the old Westerns that is a weak point from back dragging but I have never seen a broken A frame on a Arctic.

3. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

maybe a 1/4" if that, currently doing the annual re-paint / repair... flipping the blade, bleeding the lines....

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to look at mine to see how it is. How old is the blade?

5. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

we bought it used... our guess is 99-2000 ish
    is there a spot that usuallyy has the manufacturing date???

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not that I know of. Is your pump out front or behind a cover? Is this a heavy duty plow? Do you have the quick link 2 system where your mount goes into 2 square holes or do you slide it into 4 slots?

7. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

from what i know its a med / heavy duty, solid steel, 3 trip springs. the pump is out front on the mount in the open.... and its got the 4 slots to hook up....
    help is much appreciated

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know they changed to the newer mounts in 2000 but they still had some old ones left. If your plow is that old then I would think that much play would be normal. Next time you get a chance look under the A frame where that bolt is and see if the A frame is starting to wear through. If you still have steel between the edge of the A frame and the bolt hole you are good. I have seen Westerns with 1/16 of a inch left.

9. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

looks like there is more then 1/2 inch there. the plow is sitting on its face right now, just painted the back side.... thanks for all your help