1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick pricing question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Allens LawnCare, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare Member

Hey Guys.....Almost Sept 1st, I've grown a bunch and have ventured into the commercial field which is fine by me....This year I'm picking up a spreader, the days of salt/sand powered by armstong (shovel) are over....How do you charge for spreading...my push rates are competitive but have never done bidding on salt/sanding per application....I pay $45 per ton for the salt/sand mixture...possibly cheaper if I buy and mix myself......or is it cheaper to go with Calcium.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There can be variations, but I always found the best guide to be that I charged equal to what I would charge to plow an area. I was using a sand/salt mix. So, if it was a driveway that I'd charge $50 for plowing 3-6", I'd charge $100 for plow and sanding. It seems obvious, but this came up once before - The rate for sanding/salting does not vary by the depth of the snow. So, if you'd charge $75 for plowing 6-9" on that same driveway, it would be $125 for plowing and sanding/salting.
  3. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

Same here, whatever I charge to plow, I charge to sand
  4. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare Member

Sounds about right....I just don't want to short change myself. All my commercial accounts are based on per push every 1-3 inches with salt/sand application as needed....usally at the end of the storm but if we have some like last year where it switched over to sleet for 2-3 hrs then back to snow I have two applications.....nursing homes, gas stations etc
    Thanks for the help.
  5. Dan s

Dan s Junior Member
    from ct.

price the sanding as per application. it works.