1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Poll: Ballast - Over or Behind Axle?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by z71Worker, Dec 7, 2004.

?

over or behind axle?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2004.
  1. directly over

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. behind

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  3. does not matter

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Title says it all..

When placing Ballast, does it matter if its directly over the axle or behind?

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What are you trying to accomplish with the ballast?

Extra traction?

Or cantilever weight distribution to counteract a heavy plow?

3. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Because I just got my 1st plow, im now using the ballast.. I have never had a need for it in my trucks before...

Not a heavy plow Blizz 760LT, but you can see in my sig, i dont have a HD truck either..

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Then I would suggest most to be behind the rear wheel wells.

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Check the owners manual of your plow. Mine says BEHIND the axle. You really have to play with how much you put in though. The only true way to find out how much you need is to weigh the truck at the axles.

6. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

ill check the manual when i get it tomorrow.. seems behind is the majority to on the axel 3 to 1 so far..

7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would put it between wheel wells and you will get better handling to that way with a 1/2 ton GM truck and frame. If you load the tail heavy on a 1/2 ton GM they can tend to "jitter" a bit in center a frame as they try to "hump up" a bit under torque flex sometimes for rear end loading and get a bit bouncy when spinning tires a bit sometimes.

8. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Behind the axle. 750 pounds will ACT like, say, 900 pounds because of leverage on the trucks fulcrum (front axle). So you can use less weight at the back and get the same effects of more weight directly on top of the axle, I.M.O.