1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Plow Hook Up

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nate456789, Dec 2, 2009.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Anybody have any tricks for lining up the truck with the plow when hooking up?
    It takes me about 4 or 5 tries to get it right. It is a pain to keep getting in and out of the truck.
    Other than that I love the quick hook up of the Boss Plows.

2. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Short of adding a snowplow site system from Boss I would just do it a few times in a row and pay attention to the placement of everything. That seems to have worked for me...

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Leave it on all year.

4. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

yep...that's it. Practice!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Until you get the hang of it place a dot on the rear of the plow lamp with a paint marker and a second one in the inside of the windshield to line it up with. That will get you close. Most guys simply use a body line on the hood but not all trucks have a definitive rib on the hood any longer.

Most guys get the hang of it after a few storms and no longer need the gun sight method. You'll likely do the same.

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Put the plow on a couple of cheap furniture dollys and push the plow to the truck. You will get it right the first time, everytime.

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I use the body line on my hood and line it up to the out side plow light bolt, I get it almost every time! Good luck buddy! `;~)

8. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

I line the hood crease with a white line I made on the back of the plow light and I hit it every time 1ST try hope that helps

9. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

10. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

On my 97 2500 the line in the hood that is right in front of me lines right up with the bolt on the plow light so I am able to drive in first time every time.

Works for me

11. zman300

zman300 Member

X2 on a dolly.
    Made one for my Western, plan to do the same for the Boss.
    Drive in push the plow to the truck. And when the plow is off the truck you can move and store it out of the way .

12. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I like the Dolly idea, especially since it's in my garage. I saw the picture on here where someone welded a wheel on a post and used the plow shoe mount holes for the wheels.
    My concern is the height - What is the maximum height until you have problems with the tower lining up?
    Seems to be sensitive to the 15 1/2 " on the truck side.

Furniture dollies would make it too high for mounting wouldn't it? They are like 5 or 6 inches off the ground.

13. zman300

zman300 Member

14. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Well, heres what I did with mine. I got a 3/4" concrete bit and driller four holes in my shop floor. I got two 2x4's about 18"s long and drilled two 3/4" holes in the same spot as the concrete. I obviously spaced the two 2x4's enough apart to fit my tire thru. So what I have is two 2x4's that act as a chock for the inside and out side of the tire. So I pull the tire in between the two pieces and drop the plow. This way I just pull into the wood and it's lined up the same every time. If this makes any sense. I guess an easier way to explain it is the automatic carwashes that guide your tires..

15. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yes, the dollys are a little tall for a V, but I just tilt the V to the rear just before I push it in the mount. After a couple of practice tries, I have it down to a science.

You can get 2 dollys at Lowes for like $60.00

16. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

My truck has the center line in the hood. I painted a red center stripe on the light bar of the plow. I then stick a telescoping - magnetic pickup tool on the stripe. Line up the hood center with the pickup tool. Hit it first time, almost every time.

17. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

just find a pallet jack u can move where ever u want plus it will raise about 4 or 5 inches and it about 2 inches off the ground

18. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Practice...

I've played a few games of Chase the Plow, but not recently Teh RT3 hook up just keeps getting better and better. Last night I pulled up to the plow with 3" of fresh already on the ground - hooked up, plowed my 1 acre clearing, two passes on the 1000' drive, 1/2 acre lower clearing, 1/2 mile road one pass each way, back up and dropped the plow - all in less time that it would have taken me to sink one pin on my old meyer.