1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick Install question...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by blackDiesel, Sep 21, 2010.

1. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

I had a quick install questions. I'm going to be installing my new mini light bar (Pinnacle LED Mini Lightbar by SoundOff Signal) and a couple flood lights on my back rack. Here's my install idea, let me know if I'm good to go or have to change something:
    -Run power for light bar and flood lights off a aux fuse so the lights are ignition hot
    -run my power from fuse box to two seperate switches (one for light bar, one for flood lights)
    - route wire under truck and up the back of the cab, ground out lights at a point on the frame.

What do you think? this is my first install, advice is appreciated. :drinkup:

2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Your on the right track, however, unless your dead set on having it hot only when the ignition is on. I would run a fairly heavy gauge wire to a terminal block, or switch box if thats the route your going. But it don't sound like your using a switch box, so I would run the wires to the terminal box. This will enable you to "split" your heavier wire to run to your two switches, then you can put a fuse between your terminal box and your switches. The like you said, go from your switches to the light bar and the flood lights. Depending on what truck you have you could either run the wires up your column by the door and above the headliner, then out the third brake light, or out a cab vent on the back of the cab. Something I may suggest is adding a quick disconnect so you can remove the back rack quickly if you need to. This is the way I would do it, I find myself leaving my aux. lights on all the time without the truck running so I wouldn't want it to only be hot when the ignition is on. If you have any questions I'll try to check back here. Dissociative or someone could probably help you better but I figured I'd put in my 02.

3. blackDiesel

blackDiesel Member

I appreciate the insight. I'm a little confused on running it from a switchbox? (I have a 2008 Chevy 2500, Duramax) Other than that, I like the idea of a quick disconnect off the rack.

4. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I switch box is exactly like it sounds, it normally has one set of wires that will power the entire box, then there is a set of wires coming out of the box for each of the switches. Here's the one I have, http://www.able2products.com/Update/05_4000_v1.htm Doing this would eliminate the terminal box I mentioned. But would also probably be more money. Not alot but a little. If you text you can text the number in my signature and I can try to help you more.