1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick help please

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jeff52984, Dec 11, 2010.

1. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Well got the plow all hooked and ready for the snow coming tonight and low in behold the plow head lights arent working. Please what is something that I can look into for trouble shooting. The lights and plow were all working normally and now when I need it the lights arent. Thanks I know someone will know

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Are all the connetions clean and tight? check all the easy stuff first

3. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

yea I checked all grounds and connections seem to be good. Plow goes up and down and left right with no issue just no lights at all not even parking lights. Im at a loss worst case I will just say screw it and use the truck lights just wont see crap lol

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Maybe take the truck light/plow light switch apart and connect the two wires.......if they turn on then you know you have a bad switch.

5. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Which 2 wires would I connect. Been a long day sorry can't think at all and so frustrated

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

11 or 13 pin harness? What truck? Tough to help without details.

7. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Its tricky but 11 pin wiring but swaped and put 13 pin connectors. Its on a 1999 chevy suburban 2500 series. Just don't know why it would stop working out of know where. I did adjust the lights on the plow cause they were up towards the sky but don't think that would affect anything.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's your problem. On an 11 pin all lighting is grounded via the plow, namely through the lights and into the light tower itself. You disturbed the lights and therefore they lost their ground. :nod:

9. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Ok so just take the lights off all the way and bare some metal and re install?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. Clean them up good and retest.

11. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

ok cleaned up real good and still no parking lights or head lights. But did realize I have turn signals working on the plow. So could it be the switch in the truck or maybe connectors where they tie into the main trucking head lights?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the turns worked before and you didn't realize it you lead us down the wrong track. Instead start at the truck side bumper connector and check for headlamp and parking light power there. If you have it then it's still a ground issue on the plow side.

13. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

lights

Do you have lights on the truck with out the plow plugged in? If so i would start at a bad switch for the plow lights.

14. elecblu

elecblu Member

It will not be a bad switch, because if the plow/truck switch was not operating correctly, the turn signals would not work on the plow.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not so. The headlamp position switch has no correlation with the turns signals (or parking lamps) what so ever. They are wired completely independently.

16. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

Had the same problem last year and B & B helped me out. It was a bad connection in the 13 pin harness truck side because I had wired a new 13 pin plug on. Can't remember which pin it was but I'm sure B & B can tell you

17. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

Well looks like I have a short in the harness where the 13pin connector was spliced in. Thanks only took going threw this in that to find it. Now to figure out where its leaking hydrolic fluid man its one thing after another. This better not be a sign of how this winter is going to go for me.

18. elecblu

elecblu Member

When the plow/truck switch is in the truck position, all the lights on the plow are NOT off? (just the headlights) I thought they were . I'll have to double check myself now. I am sorry for that mistake, and thanks for correcting me B&B

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As I stated, the plow/truck toggle has no affect on the markers or turns what so ever, only the headlamps. Turns and markers are wired directly to the plow, not through any type of switch or relay....regardless of the age of the unit, 11 or 13 pin etc.