1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick help for Newbie on pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by westbrooklawn, Jan 28, 2004.

1. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

I have done a search, but haven't really found an answer. I am looking for a standard hourly rate for plowing a large utility company reporting center (employee parking as well as company vehicle lots and garage area).

The facts:

Plow vehicle - Jeep wrangler with 6'8" plow
    Conditions - 3" snow with sleet and freezing rain on top, packed

It had melted some during the day yesterday, and I was able to scrape to bare pavement, but not without a lot of hard plow tripping due to frozen packed areas.

They were desperate to get it done and hired me without asking me to quote a rate......."send us the bill..." type arrangement. It helps that I know their maintenance head.

I am thinking $110 - $125/ hour range. All responses appreciated.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If I could get $100.00 hr. for a small rig and plow I would be happy. That's my .02 cents, hope I didn't offend you.

3. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

No offense taken!.......I am looking for honest feedback. The reason I was looking towards a little higher price was because of the rough packed and frozen conditions which were really hard on the rig.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, but you put in more hrs. because of the hard pack.

5. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Should charge higher per hour than normal based on additional wear and tear on truck /plow. payup payup

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Start at $125.00 per hour and 1 hour minimum. Then every 1/2 hour above that.. See where that takes you. When you are done with the job, think about it and ask yourself "Would I do this all day long for X amount?" That will be your per hour fee. As far as adding more because of the conditions, I would think to go slower and therefore will make more money.

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Are you hoping to make this a permanent account??? If you are then try to find the prevailing wage for your area. In our area 80.00/hr with a 7.5ft plow is average. But we are able to get more by charging by the push on most lots.

8. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

You should think about how much you really need, rather than what might get.

Take into consideration how much fuel you use, the wear and tear on your vehicle plus any repairs due to something breaking, salt if used, then add that to the profit you want to make.

You might charge them $75 an hour for a one time clearing, or you can offer them $60 an hour for doing it on a regular basis.

If you're a good mechanic you can do your own repairs, if not you'll have to pay someone to do them, so take that into consideration as well.

I wouldn't charge any less than everybody else is charging, and I wouldn't charge any more unless I offered a better service.