1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questoin about a Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at purchasing a 2001Ford F-350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke. Now I'm not wondering if this is a good truck, I know it is and for the price it can't be beat. But my question is, I would like to put a Western 8.5' MVP on it. Would this be too heavy for the front end? If so, what can I do to it to make it work? Timbrens, bigger springs, upgrade the front end? Could use some advice from the Ford experts.

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My brother has an 02 and its a great truck. Check the oil pan good. Then tend to rust out. Otherwise its awesome.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

It will handle the MVP fine, if it sits a little lower than you waant it to with the plow on then add air bags... counter weight goes a long way to making it ride better with a heavy plow..
    And as mycirus said.....Check the oil pan good...at least 1600 bucks to replace it.
  4. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I'd run the heaviest stock springs you can (x-codes rated at 6000lbs) and air bags if needed.

Unless it's a Reg Cab, it's probably "too heavy" by the books.
  5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

The add a leafs worked excelent on my powerstroke and it rode great with the add a leaf. I bet with x code springs It will ride like a 450 or 550.I would never want that. My truck did not even squat with a 8ft str8 blade.
  6. Brant'sLawnCare

Ok guys thanks for the help! I was planning on putting a lot of ballast in the back, but if I needed to upgrade the front I will. I just wanted to ask you guys before I go and ask my dealer.
  7. Brant'sLawnCare

It is a reg. cab. So I think I will be ok.
  8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I like my Timbren's. They are not supposed to stiffen ride on an empty truck, but with the extra weight of the diesel engine, they will a little.

Proper ballast, and you shouldn't need anything if you don't mind messing with the ballast every time you unhook your plow or want to use the bed of your truck.
  9. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks for the help. I checked the Western website, and they say to add about 1k lbs of ballast. Quite a bit, but not a lot for an F-350.
  10. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Check and see what front springs or on it. If you don't have the X Code springs put them on. I just did this on my 2002 crew cab and it carries my blizzard 810 great. The blizzard weights over 1000 lbs. I an running 1000 lbs ballast.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

It has the 5200# springs in front. The second best. I may just leave it for now.
  12. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Mines an 02 SD with stock springs and it,s been good for the last 3 years . I dont know how much of a weight diffrence there is between the plow you want and mine but it cant be much.
  13. KLM Service

KLM Service Junior Member

Brant, I just purchased a 01 F250 this fall with a 5.4 gas engine. It only had a 4400# rating for the front end. I talked with my local spring shop and the recomended timbrens only. I tend to overkill whatever I do, so I had springs and the timbrens installed. With the leafs installed it makes the truck set level. In November I had a new 8' 6" MVP installed and needless to say it handles the plow great. I also have a 07 F250 w/ 5200# front end + timbrens and a 8' 6" MVP and needless to say this is a great setup also. I also use 640# of counter weight between the fender wells.
    IMO if money is not an issue, do both, If money is an issue, do the Timbrens and forget about it, you'll be happy!!

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah, for now I will probably just go with the Timbrens. The winter is half over already. I can always add them if it really needs it.
  15. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Fisher plow and is very compatible to the Western as far as weight. It's probably even a little heavier.
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can't go wrong with the 7.3 PSD ! Just remember it does take some maintance to keep it on the road. It takes 14 to 16 qts of oil and filters cost more. Search " Cam Sensor" here or on a Ford diesel site. It will give you the one Gottha thing that if you carry a spare ( Cam sensor ) and the wrench will save you a lot of trouble.