1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hgoldfein, Sep 9, 2011.

1. hgoldfein

hgoldfein Junior Member

hey all i am seriously thinking of getting into the snow removal biz but have some questions i need answered. after reading alot on this site i see that im probly not ready to start a crew of my own and i dont have time to work as a sub either. i have at least 3 commericial lots that i can get contracts for and probably somewhere between 30-100 residential driveways that i can get contracts for. my question is there a way i can sub all this out to a company that has experiance or should i just hire a couple guys to take care of the work. im ready to buy all the eqipment needed and was wondering is it worth getting a plow? or should i just get a couple blowers. i really dont want to have to deal wth auto insurance and i dont think i would really need a plow since most of the work would be residential.last question.. i have an 2002 f150 v8, this is my work truck all year round would a plow kill it? im hearing alot about people ruining there trucks because of the plow. thanks alot
    one more question are these cheap plow trucks sold on craigslist for 3k sufficient or should i stay away? the only option i have for a plow is buy a new truck for 3k on craigs or put a plow on my baby (2002 f150 flareside with an are cap)

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should stay at what ever job your at now. Your not ready for this business.

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

haaahhahaahahahahah :laughing::laughing::laughing:

4. hgoldfein

hgoldfein Junior Member

im not stoping my curent job im looking to make money on the side.

both of your answers are sooo helpfull thanks alot. i curently am managing a construction crew for 1.5 years doing residential renovations. i have renovated 30 + houses in the past 1.5 years i think ill be able to figure out how to push some snow. i bet you would have said the same thing about me starting construction ....

5. grandview

Snowplowing is a lot different the following blue prints and the we can finish it tomorrow if we have to. You can't just buy stuff and say here,go plow this for me.

6. hgoldfein

hgoldfein Junior Member

im aware of that thats why im thinking if there is a way to sub it ou to more experianced people so i can get more hands on experience till im ready. im doing lots of research on how its all done but i have more basic questions that could easily be answered by people with experiance. im not even sure if i would get into plowing yet i might just start out with snow blowers and shovels. but like i said in the original post im not sure what makes more sense.

7. grandview

Well your going to need at lease 4 trucks for the driveways alone.Most guys don't like to sub to some new guy starting out because they can get burned on their money. Who's going to keep an eye on these subhs if you find some. Will you leave your other job to do it?

8. hgoldfein

hgoldfein Junior Member

what about having one driver drop off 4 guys at diferent drivways? i have my truck and im ready to buy one more. what do you think about getting a couple cheap trucks off craigslist? and yes i will be able to leave my job to check in from time to time and i start my day job at 8 so i will be doing a couple hours before work with the rest of the crew.

9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

" i have at least 3 commericial lots that i can get contracts for and probably somewhere between 30-100 residential driveways that i can get contracts for. "

That is a lot of business to start off with. I would start with 1 commercial to get a feel for that, and 10 residentials. Do it yourself. Adjust your business the following winter. You will bury yourself if you take on all that work ... even if you can sub it out.

10. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Only take on what YOU KNOW you can comfortably handle. Less money now = more money down the line.

11. Reggie

Reggie Junior Member
    from Indiana

As a 4th generation contractor (family & union trained) one of many things that I've learned is not to take on any project without the proper knowledge, tools, equipment, etc.,.

So without any dedication, experience, equipment, knowledge, etc. you want to get contracts for 3 commercial lots somewhere between 30-100 residential driveways????:rolleyes:

12. randomb0b123

from america

let me know how those cheap craigslist trucks go im sure theyll look fantastic no rust at all the customers will love seeing them in theyre driveways and theyll never ever break down and take all your money

13. grandview

Well you wanted some answers.

14. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Couldn't agree with you more. If someone is selling a truck & plow on craigslist for 3G's....I'm gonna bet all the quarters in my piggy bank that it's a pile of junk. Is every trunk on there garbage....absolutely not but it most likely will be. I'm big on appearance and looking professional when your doing a job. Slapping stuff together to get ready for the first snowfall isnt the best idea.

15. hgoldfein

hgoldfein Junior Member

so i geuss im not gonna get any peice of crap plow truck from craigslist. just to clarify i dont have any contracts yet but i have the potential to get the numbers i wrote before. so i geuss 100 drives are too much. how many driveways do you suggest to start off? right now its me my partner and 3 other guys that will work on the res drives and i want to sub out the 3 lots.how long would it take to do a 3 car driveway with a blower and salting the drive and 20 ft sidewalk? i would geuss about 20 min wth 2 guys? and im still looking for an answer about putting a plow on a 2002 ford f150 v8 with 114000miles bad idea ? this is my primary work truck i wont do it if it will wear it out. thanks again everyone.

16. randomb0b123

from america

i wouldnt do too much plowing with that 150 it sounds like you have intentions to get into a decent amount of work. you could set it up and have it ready to go as a backup truck but id be looking into a 3/4 ton or 1 ton srw reg cab long bed truck if i were you

17. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

WOW, this makes me feel much better about my endeavors. One new guy to another, its time for self reflection. GOOD LUCK

18. D&FServices

D&FServices Junior Member

I'm only a newbie that hasn't done much commercial plowing and this will be my first winter at trying to make a go of it for myself so take my advice for what it's worth. If I read your initial post right it said " I don't really wanna deal with auto insurance"? If that's correct then forget about snow removal and stick with construction. If you don't have time to write out a business plan, research it thoroughly, and cover yourself with ALL NECESSARY INSURANCE including GENERAL LIABILITY with a little thing called "completed operations" (this is required to cover slips and falls as I'm told that general liability itself without this rider only covers physical damage that you do while your there it doesn't cover anything after you've left such as slips and falls (that's the deal with Shield Of Shelter Insurance anyway). Anyhow if you don't wanna fool with these insurances then your setting yourself up to potentially lose everything you have plus those that you don't have yet. It appears to me that taking the route your taking you better have some deep deep pockets and I've got a feeling their not deep enough if your looking for a 3K truck with a plow on it already (no offense to the cheap trucks, Mine is not a show winner but that's because I dropped a ton of dough a ton on GL and Commercial auto insurance AS REQUIRED). Think small and manageable and work up from there, but before you ever buy any equipment you should have already researched and have a pretty clear idea of what your overhead will run and what you've got to have an hour to make profit but hey I'm a new guy, what do I know?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011