1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions to ask potential new employees...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by derekbroerse, Nov 21, 2005.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'm starting to get a few applicants for the job of driving my second truck this winter. I had a guy lined up all summer but his day job just dropped out from under him so he is looking for more perminant employment.

Obviously, I'm asking about experience and driving record, whether they can drive a standard, drive with mirrors etc. but what else am I forgetting?

Ideas?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just make sure they did't have to many blues before coming to work.:nono:

3. schuitb

schuitb Member

I would ask the applicants for referances, and contact those people. They already know how dependable, reliable and honest the person is. Also try to get someone 25 or over for insurance reasons.. here in Ontario commercial insurers surcharge underage operators..

4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Ask about if they can handle the hours, if they have dayjobs, how they plan to fit plowing around them, ect. Make sure they have licenses of course.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you can also get a good look at what they drive. Most times if it is beat to hell with a headlight hanging out or missing you can bet they will drive your truck twice as hard.

6. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

This is probably obvious, but make sure they fill out a formal application. It'll give you a good look at their last three jobs and get you references. Three jobs inside of a year and you want to look for someone else. Three jobs in the last five + years and you probably have less worries. I also get D.O.B. and drivers license number so you can check their driving record.
    A lot of people can talk a great talk, but don't have the background.
    The wrong employees can really SUCK!

7. derekbroerse

I met with and interviewed my first applicant today.

He lives about two blocks from me. Drives an immaculate black late 90's 4x4 Blazer. He is a 55 year old retired tool-and-die maker from GM, 31 years there. He is looking for odd jobs to keep busy and supplement his pension for about five years or so. Says he hasn't had a car accident since 1971.

Hours are no problem, he is used to getting up at 4:40am to be up for GM shift work. His only obligation is to (occasionally) pickup his grandkids from school at 3pm. Always used to drive a stick, and often drove vans and trucks so driving with mirrors is no problem.

Sounds promising to me!

Also turned out to be an ex-customer of my mother's when she was sales manager at a local chicken farm, and that he used to coach my brother's softball team (about 14 years ago).

I have another message on my phone to return tomorrow for another guy, but he sounds kinda cocky and arrogant on the phone.

8. grandview

Did he ever plow before?

9. schuitb

schuitb Member

Good luck, sounds like you have a winner! :bluebounc

10. derekbroerse

No, but then not many have. As a tool-and-die maker he knows his way around machinery, so I think he will learn quick enough. I handed him the controls on my truck today to experiment a little.

Realistically, anyone who can learn to cut a lawn can learn to plow snow. And he did a little commercial lawn mowing this past summer, so... we'll see. He's only the first one I've interviewed.

11. grandview

I noticed you have 3 trucks if he sounds good keep him as a backup for when you go and do your cleanups, bring him along to learn the ropes you don't want to put to much pressure on him the first time.

12. gpin

gpin Senior Member

To start, make them show you a licence, copy it and check with DMV to make sure it's valid. Sounds simple but I made the mistake, twice. They have licenses when you ask....