1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions re: new (to me) Ranger w/ Plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by rangermike24, Mar 1, 2008.

1. rangermike24

rangermike24 Junior Member
    from Maine

I just purchased (one week ago) a 2002 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0L, Automatic. It came with a Curtis snowpro 3000 that was just put on this past fall. I've already plowed twice with it and it works great. Very easy to attach & remove as well. I do have a couple of questions though. 1) Is it better to plow in 4 hi or 4 lo? I've only used 4 hi so far, but each storm was only around 4-6 inches. When I get up tomorrow, I may have up to 10 inches to deal with. 2) Should I try to avoid ramming to hard into the deeper piles? I know this is a light duty truck and don't want to damage it. 3) This plow is rated around 480lbs and does not seen to lower my front end much if at all when attached vs. removed. Do I need any extra support up front for this unit? ie. heavier than stock susp. parts or "timbrens", which I have been reading about in other posts? Thanks for any info! I only plan to use this plow for my own driveway (about 20 ft wide x 60 ft long) and our barn driveway which is a similar size.
    ussmileyflag

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Personally I don't use timbrens, but both trucks had lift springs with a heavier spring rate than stock. I also added extended bump stops.

3. rangermike24

rangermike24 Junior Member
    from Maine

Thanks AbsoluteH&L!

I appreciate the feedback. I just finished plowing about 8-9inches. It's still falling but I wanted to get to it before it got any deeper. I figured it would be worth it to do a quick scrape later. I have been using the stacking method some as well, takes a little practice to get the timing down. I can tell you the 2 trip springs work great ! :eek:
    The plow is so easy to remove and reattach that it ensures I drop after every storm and don't haul it around. Saves on mileage as well. The constant moves from drive to reverse does make me think seriously about a tranny cooler as well. I guess I will look into that soon.
    ussmileyflag

4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Yes, if there was only one thing you were to do, I would do the tranny cooler. Good to hear it well for you.