1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions, questions, questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wooky1971, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wooky1971

wooky1971 Junior Member

I have spent about 3 hours on here and I am finding it difficult to find answers to some of my questions. So at the risk or repeating a question that has already been answered somewhere I am starting my own thread. If the quesiton has been answered somewhere please feel free to post the link to it.

I currently own a delivery business in my city. I use a 18ft box truck to deliver furniture and other items. I have commercial auto and general business liability insurace so I am familiar with the insurance requirements. My main questions pertain to equipment.

I have a 1994 F350, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 2wd,single wheels on rear, with a 460 v-8 gas engine, automatic trans with OD. goose neck hitch. I am running stock size 10ply tires.

Will a 2wd, single axle, gas engine truck be enough to run a small commercial business?

Will there be traction issues?

Would a different wheel/tire combo from stock be better?

Can I run chains in Tennessee?

Would a trailer with a atv/loader be better then equiping the truck with a blade?

Can I offer snow removal without doing salting
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

Depends on the customer/clientele completely,
    and sanding/salting is value added service and

The liability of not at least sanding for traction after plowing
    is something to consider as the property owner has no
    recourse than to sue you if he is sued by someone slipping and becoming
    injured if the ice is exposed and not removed or covered heavily with grit etc.

You could also be sued by the injured party as well.

I doubt anyone would sign a waiver releasing you from
    liability if plowing only is done.

Your vehicle insurance company may not allow you
    to do this anyway as a side business with out additional
    liability insurance and a DBA certificate.

Look at your market and annual weather and then add
    all the plusses and minuses and see if its positive or
    negative as to whether it will fly. but your insurance
    company will be the deciding factor.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  3. wooky1971

wooky1971 Junior Member

Thank you Leon for your reply. Actually I have a 7x14 enclosed double axle trailer with a ramp door sitting in the back yard. I had not even considered it. The person I purchased it from had two large commercial mowers in it. Its a tall trailer as well. Of course my question now is if the f350 2wd will pull it loaded over snowy roads.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Hell ya it will
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There are plenty of guys running 2wd trucks for plowing. But a crew cab long bed is not going to be fun turning around. They are best used in flat parking areas. As for getting around in 2wd, are you in a hilly or flat area? I don't know if chains are legal there or not, ask around locally perhaps. Either way, you want to load up the bed and get as close to RAWR as you can.

Another approach is to use the covered trailer and specialize in sidewalks or small drives. A couple of guys, snowblower(s), shovels, push spreaders for salt.
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would not recommend pulling that trailer in snow with 2wd. Maybe light snow on flat ground, but significant snow and going up hills will be rough.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The 2WD will work best in a flat lot that you can get a "run" at the snow.
    For driveways it will SUCK.
    If you pull the trailer keep plenty of weight towards the front of the trailer for more weight on the trucks axle.
    You can plow w/o offering salting.