1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions plowing with a Dakota quad cab what year to get?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by desearth, Dec 28, 2008.

1. desearth

desearth Junior Member
    from PA

Hey everyone, Looking to pick up a Dakota quad cab 4x4, was wondering which are a stronger truck 2002 through 2004 models or newer 2005 through 2008. I know these trucks never came with a plow package but could anyone recommend which options would be helpful to plowing. Which plows best fit these trucks, Just plowing driveways. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I personally think a 2000-2004 body style Quad Cab 4x4, with the 5.9 & Tow package is the way to go. 2003 is the toughest year to find, but it also came with disc brakes at all 4 corners.

Read the thread below:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68591

The Tow Package is important because it includes the Trans Cooler, and has the larger 265/70/16 tires.

Only things you need to do IMO to a stock 2000-2004 Dakota Quad 4x4 5.9 is this:
    - Swap 265/75/16 for 245/70/16 Load E tires. Prefer an All Terrain Tire with the Severe Weather Mountain Symbol on it ie like Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor or General Grabber AT2
    - Crank your torsion bars up to get a 2" lift all around.
    - Install Timbrens front and rear.
    - Get a Snoway 26 Series 7'6" plow. There are others, but if you look at the weights for a plow, and the competition, the only one that comes close is the Blizzard which for this paticular mount (and many others) sits too low and causes scraping issues.

The 2005-2008 was a beefier truck, but the 2000-2004 was plenty beefy for what you will be using it for. If you look around they go cheap too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140289452520

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300278546691

I have a 4.7, and use to have an 03 5.9 I still think the 4.7 is adequate, but the 5.9's low end torque was crucial in making this a very good truck. It was a mini-Ram, and only thing scaled back was its size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is my truck. If you are close by in PA (I'm in DE) feel free to email me, I can show you the, truck and you can get an idea of wether this would work for you before you invest the money on buying one.

Hope that helps.
    Charlie.

3. desearth

desearth Junior Member
    from PA

I love the truck. thanks for the information that is exactly what I was looking for, but I think ill try to get the 4.7 with the tow package. I have an f250 right now im going to get rid of because of gas milage and would hate to get the 5.9 because I use this truck as a daily driver also. Right now I have all the mounting for a standard western plow weight is about 550 pounds. But I love the snowway with the back pressure for back dragging and the lighter weight. Thanks again for the great info.

4. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

No Problem. The 5.9 only gave me about a 2MPG difference. 1MPG was made up simply buy going from 265/70/16s to 245/75/16s which are the same overall diamater, just skinnier and less rolling resistance. (I miswrote above!)

500#s is the max I would put up front. I have the Timbrens, and the Tailgate Salter, with a few bags of salt out back act as my ballast even though I probably don't need more then a 100# ballast with the larger setup.

Then again since you have the western, it might be cheaper to find a mount for the dakota and swap it in. You never know. The 5.9 was great because I got better MPG with a programmer, Exhaust and Intake then my 4.7 with the intake and exhaust, but no programmer. Who would have known. :)

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

IMO and it's just that an opinion stay under 500lbs for the plow on the Dakota. Also FWIW, I had a 99 Ext cab with a Meyer, my current 92 ext cab with a Western had overheating issues with both put the Snoway on the 92 and the overheating issues went away. Again IMO with the smaller grill openings on the smaller trucks you'll have less overheating issues with a plow with the hydraulics on the a-frame since you don't have the pump blocking airflow to the grill also.

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Go for the 5.9 the extra low-end tq will save you MGP big time with a plow, not to mention it's alot more fun to romp on the loud pedal. :D