1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions on the right truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Plow_Lawn_Man, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Plow_Lawn_Man

Plow_Lawn_Man Junior Member
    from 10921

I have between 19k - 27k to spend on truck and another 10k for plow and trailer and equipment. My questions are these?

Is a Ford F-250 or Dodge 2500 a good truck to plow in winter and tow trailer with mowers in the summer? I am in upstate New York but not far far upstate.

The trucks I have been considering are between 1 and 5 years old ranging in that price I can afford above. I probably wont go older then 2009 and haven't looked at a truck yet with over 85k miles on it of what I have looked at.

I would be plowing small commercial and residential with the truck. As well as same with Lawn equipment and trailer.

OR should I look into a Ford F-350 there seems to be some nice used ones of those out there that are a year or two old.

I would like to know as much info as possible as to the cost of things and what truck would be best and why. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Also is it ok to post links to trucks I am considering buying so you guys can look them over ?

Thank you all for your time and help on any and all of these questions.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You might want to consider two trucks.if that one breaks down you have a backup.go Ford and boss v plow

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The dodge and Meyer will always be broke down

4. Plow_Lawn_Man

from 10921

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

He's really close to an extended cab diesel with rubber floors. They're 33k here with a plow

7. Plow_Lawn_Man

from 10921

Technically I don't really need an extended cab. I am trying to avoid diesel due to fuel cost and convenience. Anyone have a propane conversion done on their Ford F-250 or 350 yet. Apparently its available and was wondering how good it is. Here is an excerpt for what they claim: " Fuel systems are available for 2012 and newer model years Ford F-250 / F-350 trucks equipped with the 6.2-liter V8 engine. These propane autogas fuel systems can be installed at any one of the ROUSH CleanTech authorized installation centers.

These Ford trucks equipped with the ROUSH CleanTech dedicated propane autogas fuel system deliver the same horsepower, torque, and towing capacity of a gasoline-powered Ford F-250 / F-350 with a 6.2-liter V8 engine: 385 horsepower and 405 pounds-feet of torque. "

Anyways thats just one truck I was looking at. It loaded but it is 5 years old and has 84k miles on it. But it looks in great shape. I will also on top of the money I have listed available above 27k be trading in a 2002 Honda civic LX 4 door with power windows and power locks/mirriors and rear window defroster heating element with cruise control only 124k miles on it. As well as trading in a 2009 SCION XB 70k miles manual 5 speed with power windows/locks/mirrors/navigation system/premium sound/rear defroster heating element/rear wiper/tilt steering/traction control with trade in value of $9,113 but I owe 4k on it still. Nothing owed on 2002 Honda civic lx with 124k miles on it though.

So Trading in : 2009 Scion xb 70k miles with Trade in value from kelly blue book of $9,113 owe 4k on it still
    Aslo trading in: 2002 Honda civic lx sedan 124k miles with Trade in value from KBB of $2,500 owe nothing.

So low side I will be getting at least $5,500.00 on trade in's.

Was looking at these trucks as well:

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/2010-ford-f350-hampstead-nh-226354277

http://www.carsforsale.com/used-cars-for-sale/2010-ford-f350superduty-detroit-mi-194340311

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Extend cab short bed.

9. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Anything used make Very sure to check it out VERY carefully....Was it a plow truck in its former life....Dealers do a Very good job to hide that fact.....Last thing you need is $2000 grand in front end work right out of the gate...High mileage used trucks I would stay away from personally

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A new truck? Nothing under 50k here and that's without a plow.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Rubber floors but power windows are under 35 at koons ford.

You can get a crew cab gas for 35 as well

Never priced reg cabs too small for me

12. Defcon 5

Why.....You a Big Fella????.........:laughing:

Brand New 2014 Regular cab gasser Chevy with a Western Straight Blade on it....$31,500 out the door here at a local Chevy dealer....:nod:

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

6ft 250 lbs lol.

I have a kid and always use the back seat for stuff. I don't like having the toolbox in with the vbox. Although this year I'm wondering if I can put fender wheel boxes beside the bed and spreader

14. Plow_Lawn_Man

from 10921

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

16. Plow_Lawn_Man

from 10921

17. Defcon 5

18. Plow_Lawn_Man

from 10921

Whats the A plan?

The tax and all that should be covered by the trade in's of civic and scion.

19. Plow_Lawn_Man

from 10921

So the recommendation is to avoid a Doge Ram at all costs ? I am leaning towards Ford and just don't prefer Chevy unless the offer is from the Godfather and well then its just an offer I can't refuse and will have to take a Chevy. But thats my thoughts and questions. Anyone who can elaborate between Dodge Ford Chevy would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note what about a Toyota Tundra and does anyone have any experience with them?

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My opinion on Ford, Dodge and GM is they're all junk for the price they charge.

I'm the opposite to you, I would take a GM unless I got a screaming deal on the Ford. I have 8 and they have been great.

The F350 you posted looks perfect. Can you get it any lower? Have you looked on Autotrader?