1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions on salting

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Bossman 92, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

This my first year spreading bulk salt. What do you guys charge per ton? I can get it for 60'sh a ton. Using baged salt I got $ 15 for a 80lb bag, how do i price this? Also I have several accounts that i get top dollar for should i give them a break now that i get salt for discount price? One place has a police that if there is any snow, salt it, and they pay top dollar we also have their landscaping and mowing. Just wandered what you think.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't know if this will help you, but I was charging twice my cost from a supplier for spreading a sand/salt mix. Now I mix my own. I've heard some charge 3x for straight salt.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

we charge double what we buy it for...$65/ton spread it for $130/ton
  4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks to all
  5. jmq

jmq Junior Member

This might be crazy, but how much will a ton cover?

This is my first year spreading salt, how much will a ton cover and how much salt do I need to cover 170,000 square feet.......very LARGE property!!!!:confused:
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I usually figure 20# per 1000sq ft.....

170 x 20 = 3400lbs or 1.7 tons....

but that is just me :)
  7. brianslawncare

brianslawncare Junior Member

price on salt spreading

i just bought a buyers salt spreader it holds 600lbs. any idea what to charge for spreading? also i buy bag salt,last year i used my scotts lawn spreader and charged double the bag.i do mainly residential lots. thank you brian
  8. zippy3497

zippy3497 Junior Member

I buy bagged and its like .06 cents per pound and charge .25cents per pound applied

800lbs @ .25cpp = $200.00 (per hopper load in my SnowEx)
  9. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  10. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

You are better off pricing per ton than square feet simply because different conditions require different application rates, it seems to be the fairest way for the customer. Going rate in northeast Ohio is 125-160 per ton applied.
  11. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Ok but you are making $160 per ton and Zippy is making $500 per ton........
  12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Its good that people are helping you out with some real numbers !
    Now this is just my opinion But i dont know of anyone who can get 25 cents per pound. (great if you can) We pay about $43.00 per ton and sell anywhere from $125.00 to $240.00. Lower number if there taking 4-5 tons per app. If its 500lbs then its based on $240.00 a ton
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

$275 a ton spread plus the hourly rate of the truck and we pay $52 a ton delievered on site.
  14. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

you could be like some people in my are and only charge .75 cents per pound and thats it. I still dont know how they can do it that cheap. i charge any where from $20 and up for residentials sanding for commercials at $50 and up.
  15. MnM

MnM Senior Member

ill empty a full v box and get anywhere from 300-700. I sell it at 150 per ton but whos counting
  16. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

$75.00 service charge for the truck, tripple for bagged mag and double for bulk
  17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.
  18. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

Im in the same boat as far as salting. For the past 4 years I charged $30.00 per 50 pounds applied. Then last year I used the same pricing but bought my salt in the 80lb bags. This coming year I have quite a few large commercial accounts that I will be applying by bulk. I believe I wil go off the average price per storn that I was making per application last year and charge accordingly. How did others go from bagged to bulk as far as pricing?