1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Question's on Poly Plow Edges?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eager Beaver, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

There was a lot of excitement about the poly plow edges when they first were introduced however I read lately that some people were unhappy with the results they had got from both wear durability and performance itself. I would lke to get comments and recomendations on this subject. Its time to replace my steel ones on my plows. I am curious how they back blade, wear durability, performance, makes and models and just overall comments.
    Thanks in advance!! :confused:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Morning, Eager Beaver. No advise for you, just noticed that you're up pretty early. Have you looked into getting urethane edge? I haven't heard anything but good about them.

3. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver Senior Member

Up early is right doing billings, contracts and proposals( What fun!!!)
    I thought they were a poly urethane base but unsure thats why I have kind of opened up the forum to see whats said and what companys are recomended. We'll see what happens

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Give me a call at 860-608-1842 and I will give you the straight poop on the edges.
    Do search under urethane edges as well, I think those questions have all been addressed in the past for the most part.
    Dino

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Poly Edges

Polyurethane Plow edges have really been around for years, they just weren't widely used and offered in the smaller sizes until the past few years. The biggest drawback in their use has been the cost factor as far as I have seen. Urethane edges absorb the impacts that occur to the truck and plow went coming in contract with curbing: edging; speed bumps; etc, which will help in increasing the life of both. Plus it's easier on the driver too. You will hardly know that you have the blade on the ground is some cases due to the fact that they slide a crossed the surfaces so well. And do it without scratching too which makes them the clear choice for doing brick pavers and aggregate drives and walkways. I have been using the same 1" thick edge on one of my plows for over 5 years now with excellent wear, which is more that I can say for the steel edges I use to run. Now I have seen some damaged edges over the years, which seemed to have occur from high speed and aggressive usage, and hard impacts with curbs or other objects. The edges ability to remove snow and slush has been very good both plowing and back dragging. I'm sure you can find others that will tell you the same. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like any other information.
    John

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With regard to broken or damaged u edges from agressive plowing driving. If that broke or tore a urethane edge, the amount of damage that would have occured if a steel edge had been in place might have either sidelined the plow and or truck permantly, or at the very least dig damage to the object that was struck. While initial investment may be higher on a u edge, the cost over the life of the edge is alot less than using steel.
    Dino

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I used steel edges for 13 yrs,I tried a U edge 3 yrs ago,Every time i need to replae an edge, I put a U edge on,I will not go back to steel edges.There is so much less abuse on the driver/truck with a U edge than a steel one,mine are wearing much better than steel,i havent even needed to drop an edge down yet,let alone turn one over.

8. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Ditto Garagekeeper, John and Dino comments. Definitely do a search for the past comments on them, I'm not going to retype stuff that I already wrote about them. Good luck.

9. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Anyone use a "U" edge on a fisher bottom trip plow?

Rick

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Last year was our first year using one on a fisher and the results are generally good with a few exceptions. The biggest benefit by far is its ability to absorb shocks from uneven or nonexistent pavement. We have one lot that is so bad we cannot find a subcontractor to service it, so we decided to try the u edge and it shines under those circumstances. Now it’s the only truck that can plow that lot and the other gravel lot we plow.

We have found it lacks something in the scraping ability when on smooth surfaces that haven’t been pre-salted. It can leave a glaze behind that a steel edge won't (at least not as bad). This is probably partly due to the fact that it isn't "broken in" (three storms) so we'll see how it goes this year. Overall I'd say it’s a good buy.

11. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

JD Plower,

Did instructions come on how to apply, seems for fisher it would be very involved.

Rick

12. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

On the straight plow we have its about as simple as it gets, just line up the holes with the steel edge and drill. You'll need longer bolts but they should be fairly easy to find (if your u edge supplier doesn't include them). On my V plow its a bit more complicated but you really just have to take your time and remember, measure twice, cut once!

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

:waving: BRL

Welcome back!

~Chuck

14. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Rooster,
    Give me a call it really shouldn't be that complicated.

Bruce

15. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Thanks Chuck! Bit of a chill in the air this week so the mouse naturally drifted over to this site to see what everyone was up to ;)

Rooster,
    I have mounted a U-edge to my Fisher trip edge & it wasn't any more difficult or time consuming than the ones I have mounted to full trip plows.

JD,
    You will find that performance will improve once its really broken in.

The only problem (I've posted this before) is the aggressive angle on the Fisher plows makes it slide more than scrape during icier conditions like JD mentions. It also takes longer to break in than the other plows I've mounted them to because of that angle.

16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

:waving: Welcome back BRL ...Long time no see!!!!

Now I know winter is on the way..!!!!:p :p :p

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There's been some good and bad comments about urethane on Pro-Techs. We are about ready to replace the rubber edge on one of ours, does anybody have any pointers or can tell what the problems were that they've had?