Snow Plowing Forum banner

Questions on plowing with a F-350 CrewCab

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  NoFearDeere 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the site and have a couple questions about plowing with my truck. I have a 2001 F-350 Diesel CrewCab with an 8'box, yeah I know it's long. On top of that I also have a 3.5" leveling kit with 315/75/16 tires. I am considering buying a plow for my truck mainly to do a few residental driveways or small lot jobs. I am not looking to get into any major plowing, just a few jobs to help offset the cost of the plow. So my first question, is it worth putting a plow on my truck because of the size and the lift? I know it will be kind of difficult to plow tight areas, but what do you guys think? Secondly do I have to do any modifications to the front suspension to support the weight of the plow, I do not have the plow package, and the lift kit is not an add-a-leaf kit. I am not sure what brand plow I am getting, but it will probably be a 8' blade. If anyone has experience with plowing with a truck like mine please give me your input. Thanks a lot guys.
Ryan

#4 ·
i'm sure your truck can handle a plow and you'll make some $$ at the same time, but i think you'll be very disappointed in the preformance of it's handling of any plowing OTHER than straight plowing. sometimes a regular wheelbase truck is too long to move around effeciently. i have two crew cabs and would never consider plows on them.

#5 ·
If you are not doing it commercially and time is not an issue then your truck will work fine. It will handle a plow just as it sits too. Gonna take you a little more time manuvering around but it will do a good job.

#7 ·
Well I guess it won't be to bad. I know the driveways I have in mind are pretty straight so turning shouldn't be too much of an issue. I guess I will give it a try and see how it works.

Do the Timbrens increase the ride height at all or do they just stiffen up the suspension to handle the weight of the plow? I have heard that putting Ballast in the bed will also help offset the weight of the plow is that true?

#8 ·
I would throw a couple hundred pounds of ballast in, just because. Timbrens stiffen the suspension, but will not increase the ride height. When the plow goes on, they dont allow the front end to drop down, ie: nose dive. Good Luck!:salute:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.