1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions on plow purchase?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mccoy1111, Nov 9, 2014.

1. mccoy1111

mccoy1111 Junior Member

Hi,
    New to this site and I have a few questions. I have 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD Quad Cab Short Bed 4x4 (off road and snow prep package).
    I am going to purchase a snow plow for personal use.

I am looking at Meyers and/or Boss v-style plows. This is my preference as I have a driveway in the country about a 1/4-1/3 of a mile long at one property and 3 other family members in the immediate same area.

The truck has very little miles on it for a 2005 under 60k and is beefed up. Billeted input & output shafts, Banks torque convertor, Banks CAI, Banks Inter cooler and exhaust. I have a airlift 5000 ultimate system for the truck rear and the Airlift Air Cell for the front end of the truck to install and Ball Joints and Control arms by Carli.

OK I think I have described the vehicle.

So I want a V plow is this possible with my truck? Steel or poly? What is the best type of controller? What is the best set-up to go with? I really do appreciate any insight. I am not a professional at this and figured you all were so what better place to ask these questions.

Again I appreciate any assistance and most likely will be purchasing the plow in the next 3-4 weeks.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Dave

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is personal preference. Each plow will serve you well.

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Your truck will handle any plow that you choose to put on it just fine. Don't worry about brand name as much as dealer support in your area. Since you're not doing this commercially it's not that big of a factor because you probably won't log enough hours on it to have to worry about break downs, but still, dealer support is the most important thing. Poly or Steel really doesn't matter. I don't like poly as they fade badly from the sun. They'll still work fine, but I'm just funny about how my equipment looks. If you're stuck on picking a brand out of the two that you've mentioned I'd personally go with a Boss VXT 8'-2" steel and call it a day. It will give you many years of good service and probably trouble free as well.

And P.S. You don't need to start three different threads to ask the same question. People will see it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014