1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions on magnetic mount lights.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Nov 10, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I have a few questions regarding the magnetic mount lights I hope some of you can answer.

Do they really stay on? Ever had one fall off?

Do they damage the paint/finish?

Is the magnet strong enough so you could put a piece of felt or something between the light and the truck and still have the light stay attached?

thank you for any advice,

Joel B.
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes No No Yes
  3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I have a Fleet light 15 joule dual bulb mini strobe bar that's magnetic mount.

There are black plastic discs that go on the bottom of the two magnets to protect the paint finish on the surface you'll be putting in on. I can honestly say that the thing doesn't move an inch. I have a 2500, so the rides on the stiff side and I took her over some real bumpy torn up roads with the light mounted with no trouble at all. It's a nice looking set up and works well. I'd recommend it if you don't have a need for an amber light on your roof when you're not plowing. Cost me $220.00 from my local Boss plow dealer in town.
  4. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Any light but a magnetic whelen mini edge bar....Not safe at all...I heard to many stories about them falling off...
  5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

As is the case for many things discussed on this site, it depends:

-Where it is installed

-What kind of cab you have (there is much more flex in an extended cab or crew cab roof)

-How fast you are going

-How big it is

The Whelen Mini Edge is not recommended (even by Whelen) if you will be on the highway. It creates too much drag and blows off.

There are some LED and smaller strobe options. Many on this site (including our trucks) use corner strobes and window mounted LED units.
  6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I had a dual rotator that was magnetic. It NEVER came off but it did ruin the paint on the roof of the truck. Went to permanent mount on the back rack now.
  7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I used to have one rotator magnetic lights on my trucks and have never had one blown off.
    I am not putting the 360 magnetic strobes on from strobesupply (only $159.00) I have been driving the one truck all month up and down the highway at speeds of 80 to 85mph and it has not moved one inch. The lightbar comes with a foam pad and I have that on to protect the paint.

P.S. for those who think they are legal putting the 4 corner strobes you better read your dot rules better. Most states including mine require a 360 yellow on the top of the equipment. I have hide -a-ways on my trucks but to be legal I still must run the 360 amber on the roof.
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have a code 3 mini bar, it has never come off while driving. I do have some minor scratches on the roof. I also have 3 antennas mounted on the roof, 1" hole for each. What is a few scratches going to hurt?? :waving: To each is his own!
  9. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I had a friend who had a mini strobe on his truck and when he passed a semi going in the opposite direction, the wind from the truck ripped it off from his truck. This is the only time I have heard of a light coming off from a vehicle. Kevin
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The good single strobe lights have a strong magnet and the cheap ones don't