1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions from a new guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by davesgreensled, Sep 13, 2004.

1. davesgreensled

davesgreensled Junior Member
    from Calgary

Hello everyone.. cool site.

I live in Calgary, and ive been pushing residential snow for the past two years.... by hand. Just me and a shovel. This year I have some more money, and I want to invest in someting to make my life easier and more profitable.
    I have a regular list of clients, I shovel there sidewalk, there driveway(20-30 feet long, 2 car average), and there front step.

Would a plow for my truck do any good? would i be better off with a snowblower? what kind of plow could i use? I know i would probably still have to shovel the sidewalk and front step by hand, but it sure would be nice to speed things up on the driveway.

any thoughts, advise, or insight would be much appreciated.

dave

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With driveways only 20' - 30' feet, you must live in the city. The only way a plow would be beneficial is if you could just pull in, drop the plow and push straight ahead with plenty of room to push in and allow for future pushes. Otherwise, I'd suggest a snowblower, especially if there are bushes to contend with or other obstacles, like a garage at the end. You'd still have to snowblow the sidewalks and shovel the porch.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to plowsite
    What kind of truck do you have, is it 4X4?

4. davesgreensled

from Calgary

Thanks!! My truck is a 1994 Chev 3/4 4X4

Ya I live in the city. I didn't think a plow would do me much good, since all the driveways I do have a garage at the end. I guess I should start shopping for a good snowblower.

Can anyone recommend a snowblower? I would like one that is quite wide; 4-5 feet if possible

thanks
    dave

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  5. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

Blower

I Dont Know Of Any 5ft Wide . A Good One Thats About 4ft. Is Probly About 2grand. Personaly I Would Look Into A Used One At Your Local Honda Equip Dealer .

6. davesgreensled

from Calgary

Hondas are pretty good machines? does honda make one 4' wide?

thanks
    dave

7. Mick

from Maine

My endorsement - I'll only use one of two brands whenever possible - Husquavarna or Honda. My advise, skip the "discount stores" and go to a dealer.

8. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Mick:

How did you know that those are the two horses in my barn too. It is terrible that we have lost the market on good small engines.

9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Buy a plow and just back drag 1/2 of it. Turn around and push the rest out. It's going to save much more time. Then you can shovel and preform any other services

10. liberty plowing

liberty plowing Junior Member
    from 6

Look at a backdrag plow also. It mounts on the rear of the truck. That allows you to pull the snow insted of push it.

11. Mick

from Maine

Dave, check your Private Messages (upper right hand part of the screen).

12. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

Ever think about getting an ATV with a plow? You could do walks and driveways in no time!

13. davesgreensled

from Calgary

Would plowing with an ATV be really hard on the ATV? is it pretty good at getting into tights spaces? is it good for heavy, wet snow? (up to 8")? What sorts of widths do they come in?

thanks
    dave

14. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

atv

i have a honda rubicon and it has trouble at 6 inches it will plow it but not very fast. :drinkup:

15. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have an Arctic Cat 400 4X4 with a 5' plow and anything over about 5" it moves pretty slow if you have to push the snow very far. Probably faster than a shovel at a 5" depth. Plus you use it in the summer. :waving: BOAST

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can put a 7.0 or 7.5 plow you dont have to go with a larger 8ft

17. Rhinohd

Rhinohd Member

Yes ATV's and get in some tight spots and plowing is tough on all vehicles but nothing a good ATV can't handle. It's way better the shoveling even 2" Get on and go! I suggest you measure your walks and find a quad that fits the walk (width wise) and a plow that will clear as well with it pushing to one side. And yes you will have fun in the summer too! Let me know if you need recommendations (cough HONDA cough) ! Good luck!

One more thing, some companies are offering $69 plows with a purchase of a quad! Consider it buying a toy and getting a plow for the cost of a few shovels.. LOL