1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions for you guys that salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KGRlandscapeing, Oct 6, 2008.

1. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

One would be do you enjoy the extra work? Is the money worth it, even more so with the increasing price and in abillity to get it.

I mean if you salt you have to watch temps and any kinda of precip, How long have some of you been doing it. What type of mix do you run? what do you apply on sidewalks?

Do you wash your trucks after every storm? If you have your own stock pile do you wash your skid too?

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Answers are in red.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

We usually put down 600 to 750 tons a season and I love salting. The one thing that's probably the best feature is all the small guys that don't salt, their customers call me. I can't compete with the cut throat business of small commercial lots but because they can't salt, I always keep an in on just about 1/2 the commercial lots in my area. Also for maintenance on my trucks/salters, I LPS them before each winter. This keeps the salt from eroding the metal and causing rust, most notably I have a 1983 Ford 8-ton salt truck that has, maybe, two rusts spots on the whole vehicle. LPS works.

Most of my customers prefer me to use 100% salt. I used to mix some sand in with it to preserve the amount of salt i put down but I've customers complain so I have gotten away from mixing sand in but if you can get away with it, go for it.

4. redman6565

and as far as sidewalks go, I usually use calcium chloride versus rock salt because the rock salt eats away at the concrete sidewalks. A lot of what you use and how you use it depends on what your customer's require and ask for.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i cant imagine being in the plowing biz without doing the salt work i make more money with less investment salting than plowing

6. KGRlandscapeing

Thanks guys for the replys. And i am not trying to single you out but your investment in spreaders and salt is far higher over head then just a truck and gas for plowing. Plus time and all the extra spot checks. I can see that theres profit in it and its not so cut throat as plowing, but it still has alot of overhead

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I wash his truck down after each run!

Salting will not hurt u, it will increase ur winter profit. If you have the plow u might as well throw the salter on also!
    I have def salted more in the last 2 years then plowed, i kno that is not saying much because im from New Jersey!:D When many people have a bad winter with plowable snows, they usally make the money up with salting events!

8. cretebaby

until this year stocking salt wasnt an issue we would just go pick 2 tons at a time i would keep a few tons on hand and then just load trucks before the storm so not that much overhead now this year is different we are still pretty fortinate i can buy all i want as long as i prepay and they will store it as long as needed

when you figure all the time getting your accounts, the fact that you already have the insurance, you already have the truck it still makes sense to salt

9. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Salt is also refered too as "white gold"! That sould answer the question to do or not to do

10. cretebaby

"White Gold" has a whole new meaning this year:eek:

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't be in this industry if I didn't salt.

12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm getting excited for winter.........

13. redman6565

kgrlandscapeing, you are correct, salting is a big initial investment. I mean lets be honest, a salter and set up is not cheap plus you have to find a supplier, however, if you can afford all of that and you are patient with the process, your investment will return double. These guys are right, salting is way more profitable than plowing, you just have to know how to do it.

14. redman6565

I mean, I bet 60% of my total winter income comes from salting and we maintain 25 commercial lots but only salt 12 of them, so do the math. You make good money on the salting.

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i will never plow and not salt... you talking a way large source of income , that can be made even with the smallest of storms... you almost double your profit, with little added time/labor

the time to prep is important... and when you salt, your truck starts going to heck fast, but in my mind its worth it

16. cretebaby

i dont think that using your truck for salting is really any worse than driving your truck around on the salty roads going between plowing jobs jmo

17. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Id have to say your wrong here. We have 4 2000- F250s, two of which have plows and salters, two only have plows. All 4 have been repainted this year for one reason or another. The amount of salt damage to the boxes of the salter equipped ones were considerably more than the others. Fenders were rotting out too. We even rigged up 3 mudflaps on angle iron btween the trucks bumper and salter spinner (to help prevent salt from getting under the truck), and we remove the salters if we know were going to be plowing for a considerable amount of time during a storm. These 2 salters are merely support items for us, and the trucks they sit on have taken a toll because of the salters. I can only imagine what the trucks would look like if they were dedicated salt trucks. BTW-We wash out our trucks and salters after every use, and are stored indoors through the winter,

IMO a salter mounted directly on a trucks frame is the way to go. No where really for salt to sit on and pile up and corrode stuff. Spray the snot out of it 2 or 3 times a year, wash em up after each use, and you should be good.

18. redman6565

Well I guess it depends then of what krglandscapeing has in mind. To be honest i dont have small salters attached to the back of my pick ups, but I do have a couple 2 tonners and a couple 4 tonners in the backs of my 1-ton dump bodies and my stake body trucks and they dont have a problem with the corrosion or anything. Like I said before, the main reason is the LPS i spray on before each winter season but a lot is just general maintenance. I mean if you have the opportunity to salt then take advantage of the income and jsut odnt be lazy with your equipment. Take care of it and maintain it and you shouldnt have any problems.

19. KGRlandscapeing

Well whats going on in my mind would be to grow the company. My salt trucks would be nothing less then 1 tons but to beable to pull that off i would need a real shop, real trucks a skid or 6. I intend to be a serious competitor in Snow and ice. But just not today. Today i learn

20. redman6565

good for you, that's great that you are keeping optimistic and looking to expand, i wish you the best of luck. salting is the way to go so dont be scared of it. i mean we manage and maintain a variety of different commercial lots but our bread money is the salting. Like i said before, salting constitutes 60% or more of my income. Salting also allows me to keep my foot in the door with small lots that I can't compete with plowing wise.