1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions for GPS users

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

I'm In the market for a GPS For my Plow truck...I have a few questions for you guys that use them.

#1 will It tell me how to get to all my customers from where I am.
    #2 If you have 50 customers...can they be logged in...like a favorites?
    #3 How do you like the text to speech option...can you speak a customers name..and It will tell you how to get there?
    #4Whitch text to speech unit do you like the best and why?
    #5 What Is routing

Thanks In advance for your Input
    Daner

2. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Nextel Offers A Simular Item , But Its A Phone W/ Software.

3. Daner

Its got to be a Gps unit In the truck

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I use GPS everytime that I travel my New England territory. To attempt to answer your questions:

#1 yes
    #2 yes, I am sure memory will vary by model. I must have at least 30 different points saved currently.
    #3 I do not have
    #4 not sure what you mean
    #5 I believe that you can load multiple addresses and it will automatically give you the most efficient route to all addresses. I do not have on my GPS

All I can tell you is that I would not travel without one anymore.

5. Daner

Thanks for you response Basically I'm in the market for one and there so many to choose from.

I don't really need a mp3 player in it...just a good unit that does GPS

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Yeah I didn't need the mp3 player in it either. My unit is pretty basic Garmin unit. Picked up for around $250.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  7. mgf250

mgf250 Member

Gps

Tom Tom and Garmin are probably the better.

Do you have a laptop, then you can get Microsoft Streets with GPS. Better of them all but you have to look at the passenger side seat unless you install some sort of bracket to hold the computer above the gear shift.

Routing lets you pick point A and B or multiple points in between and the GPS tells you where to go. You can also type in a GPS coordinate and it will give you the appropriate route.

GPS will tell you where you are NOW.

I know Microsoft Streets allows you to track your route. It actually draws a line on the map. This is good later if you want to structure your route so you are no back tracking. This software also shows you all streets in between which may provide you with a short cut that you didn't know about.

You can save your customers but after one or two times you usually remember where they are anyway.

8. Daner

Thanks for the tips...Its a tose up between the Garmin Street Pilot 550 or 580
    Or the Garmin Nuvi 660
    Ps I sure like that text to speech option

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I see that your looking @ the Garmins however I was just @ Target and seen a Tom-Tom reg $249.00 on sale for $149.00, I might go back tomaorrow and pick one up not that I need one for around here but I used one on a trip to Alabama and it worked great.

10. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

one of your best pieces of advice so far lol....

12. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Gps

I use a laptop with the DeLorme Street Atlas. Not only does it allow for lots of maps and waypoints, but also speech and voice with a lot of options. Also allows billing and other laptop functions as well as weather and Internet uses and music.

13. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

How do you have internet access while plowing? I've thought of using a laptop but did not know how to get internet access. Do you have one of those cell phone cards? Is it expensive? Thanks

And to answer the gps question, Garmin or tomtom. I have a tomtom from a couple years back when they were about 900$ and it works great.

14. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I use a Garmin Nuvi 200. It works great. Takes all of 1 minute to put an address in and get on the way. Very Very handy for finding site the first time. It does not have text to speech.

For internet, I have a verizon broadband card in my laptop. I got the PCI version instead of the usb because it is "in there" better, and not going to come loose or fall out. It works very well, and is fast. $60/month and 2 yr contract.

No snow in the forcast for the next few days, so I am gonna wire up a printer into the back seat and have a full on office in my truck:D

15. Daner

Thanks for the advice guys...I'm looking real hard at the Garmin C 550 with the text to speach...every one around here is out of stock.

I do have a lap top...but I find It too bulky In the truck with me...maybe I'm getting too many toys In the truck.........Oppppps did I say that.

16. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

In response to above questions:
    1. Yes, it constantly is monitoring where you are, and usually will tell you your speed and other information that you might find interesting
    2.Yes, you can log your customers into favorites, not sure how many, probably talking like 100s for that, so your 50 would easily be able to be put in.
    3.Mine speaks to you, haven't used one that you could talk to and it would change that to text. (speech to text).
    4.I have a Garmin C340, I love it, and so does most others I know, in fact people around me have been buying them because their jealous, and they don't know how they lived without it.
    5. I think what your talking about is when it is trying to calculate your route.

Overall there really nice, definitely get one that tells you the streets, my friend got one, doesn't actually tell him the streets. Example Turn right in 10 ft, Mine says "Turn right onto (name of Street)", really nice feature. It's also nice to have on and in "show map" mode where you are driving and it just shows you what streets your approaching and what not. I'd recommend to get one if you are interested, great investment.

17. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

ALOT cheaper

18. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

how cheap we talking?

19. JEFFakaMAX

JEFFakaMAX Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have 4 GPS units. The most recent addition is the Garmin Nuvi 660.
    The text-to-speech is really good, enough so that you don't ever really have to look at the unit. From what I have learned, the Tomtom units are good, but their mapping software is more geared to those on the other side of the pond.

The only feature that it does not have is track logging. As long as you stick to actual roads, you really don't need it.