1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about V plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DIESEL PLOWGUY, Feb 17, 2005.

1. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

Hi im new to the site I have a coupple of questions about v plows. I currently have a Ford f 350 diesel with a 8 foot rearplow and a blizzard 810. I was wondering how the v plows compare with the blizzard as far as snow carring and clean up at the bottom of driveways. Also im am intrested on the height the blade can lift.The blizzards lift is by far not the best. The Blizzard is nice but the trip design is horrible and the return is way to ruff conserding switching to V Plow also does the trip edge allow u to catch an edge of a driveway and countinue to go or will it stop u. With the BOSS V plow any problems bending plow frame due to no trip edge in scoop position.

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a Blizzard 810 and a Boss 9.2V. I think the Blizzard is a better plow. The Boss Vs dont trip very well when hitting any kind of obstruction. Items broken to date with the Boss, 4 cutting edges, Bent moldboard, bent plow mount, bent truck frame. Blizzard breaks to date, ZERO. The Blizzard will just plain move more snow in either scoop or windrowing.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

boss has a different trip design than that of a western. western has a trip edge that year to date I haven't broken a thing. V's are good for breaking drifts but you get more scoop with a blizzard. There are no perfect tools, just the main types of plowing you do. :salute:

4. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

The fisher has the trip edge too and I have not broke a thing yet.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if you dont like the tripping of a blizzard becasue it is harsh dont buy a boss V IMO. Fisher and western V's trip well. I like my 9.5 quite a bit but for what I do I think a blizzard might be a bit better. I do all larger comercial. A V dosnt carry as much snow when scooped and it dosnt windrow as much snow(smaller blade) For residential a V might work a bit better depending on what you have? One nice thing about scooping in the V position compared to maybe a blizzard thats scoop is very wide when you go to tuck coreners and lightpoles and such the V keeps the snow very compact and in tucks it real nice around poles and such.....maybe a blizzard would end up with a biiger blob and not as compact? Also you can scoop with you V and not be close to 10' wide, this is nice in some areas(tight areas) but means it dosnt carry the amount of snow. Plus V can V and spill snow off to both sideds or bust heavy drifts but we dont get much of that here. I've ran a 9.5 western and a 10' boss and currently own a 9.5 fisher. The all riase plenty high IMO. The boss you cant run down the road completly Ved otherwise you ding your corners every so often and you sometimes ding them with the fisher. Groundclerance when the plow is off is great with the fisher and western. Just about everything comes off.

Too bad you dont have a chevy I would ask if you want to trade your blizzard for my 9.5 fisher.

6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Let me get this straight, you have a Blizzard and you want a V? I might be able to understand looking at something different if the Blizzard was the first plow you ever owned. I have had straights, Vs and now Blizzards. I won't go back that is for sure. Made my V plow look like a wee plow. I do everything from residential drives in the city to large parking lots and I have not yet had 1 circumstance where I wished I had my V plow back.

7. DIESEL PLOWGUY

DIESEL PLOWGUY Member

Thank for all the impute guys. The Blizzard is not the first or only plow I have owned. I currently have 2 Western 8 Polly blades also. I like the Blizzard dont get me wrong but there are several things I dont like about it. Like how slow the thing moves. How it trips when it hits a crack in a driveway. My Westerns fold over smoothly and come back no ill feelings. When the Blizzard trips it is feels very rough to me and the you here a boom as it trips back. In its ability to cary snow I am impressed with it. I think its most use full in the windrow position thats were it really shines. I also wish it would lift higher. I live in Buffalo N.Y. and right now the snow banks on the driveways are huge. I watch the V plows stack the snow much higher. Maybe no :drinkup: plow is perfect I'M not saying I dont like the Blizzard its a great blade. But I will buy a V plow probably A 9.6 Western V and keep the Blizzard and see witch one suits my needs better. Thank for all the information guys.http://www.plowsite.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=204394#
    Drink Up

8. ratlover

from IL

western and fisher are pretty much the same blade short of mounting and the western supposedly pivots furthur but I havent seen this in action or seen were my fisher didnt follow the contors of the land. Side to side meaning uneven surface the left or right side falling down and the other side raising up to follow an off camber dip. Make sense? Go with who is cheaper/whos mounting you like better/dealer support if its an issue. And if your still undecided chose on weather you like red or yellow :D They roll down the same line......

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My Boss V trips just fine when it does "rarely" trip(full trip) because I don't plow like a maniac. I don't brag about plowing fast like some guys do. There's nothing cool about that. :rolleyes: When my V is in full retract position, I don't bump anything on the road. My truck sits up high enough to where it doesn't sag like some others.

10. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

The Boss how do you like the Boss V plow? I am thinking of getting one this coming year. Have you had any problems with the center shoe or have the resolved that problem just curious.

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

So far so good. Alot of guys on here knock them but opinions and preferences vary. No "one" plow does everything. They all have their pros and cons. To answer your question more straight forward, yes I like it.

12. ratlover

from IL

the F 550 sags as much as my 2500HD. The 10' boss is a wide blade and it angles a touch farthur so it puts those long assed wings close to the ground.

I dont know if the comment about bragging about plowing fast was aimed at me or not? I assume so. I dont plow fast becasue I think its cool and i dont brag about plowing fast. I am a selfadmited agressive plower and do se becasue I get payed for how much snow i can move. I try to let people know how I plow and what I plow so when they read my advice they can make a determination if what 'm saying makes sense for them. I also plow in some very large lots and not only have the ability to plow fast but its also much easier to fling out a windrow than it is to end up with a thick windrow and not use momentum to push it. My fisher also rarely trips but it has tripped every time I have hit something. I've had stuff trip when creeping along and I've had stuff trip when hauling the mail. Weather its going to trip or not dosnt really depend on speed although how it trips can depend on speed. I've also had a boss not trip were my current fisher would have and brough a loaded 550 to a dead stop. The boss is a strong blade, never a problem with the a frame or push plates but the thing has been welded many times, eats center hoofs regularly and breaks cutting edges.

13. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

boss v

I have a 9.2 Boss. No problems trips fine.