1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about the Duramax LMM

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowMan03, Nov 7, 2012.

1. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a friend that is looking at an 08 Chevy ec/sb duramax lmm. He asked me if I knew what they got for fuel mileage stock. I know there are a few guys on here that might have the answer to this question. He will be working the truck such as hauling a trailor, he said it doesn't have the plow prep package and asked if it was possible to put a plow on it. Is there anything else he should watch for if he buys this truck? I did do some searching but didn't come up with a good enough answer for him so I figured I would post this here.

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Fuel mileage will vary depending on the load he is hauling. I have a tuner and exhaust so mine is a bit better. 13-16 city and 17-19 highway. I have larger tires tho too. As far as a plow, yeah he can put one on. I have the same truck as him and I had a Western 8'6" MVP on it. Now I have a wideout. It handles it just fine. No need to do anything to it except crank the Tbars a bit.

3. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks Sullivan. He said it has 245s on it now and he said he wants to put 265s on if he buys it. What size are you running if you don't mind me asking, also what do you have for exhaust and tuner?

4. SullivanSeptic

I run two different tire and wheel combos. I have stock 16 wheels with 265's for winter. Then in summer I run 17" H2 rims with 285/70/17 Bfg mud terrains.

For a tuner I have an Edge Evo Race edition and a 4" MBRP turbo back stainless exhaust.

5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Nice. Thanks for the info Sullivan. Sorry for all the questions as well.

6. SullivanSeptic

Hey, no problem. That's what sites like these are for.

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Ain't that the truth. All you guys here are great to deal with.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

umm Pics Please !!! :)

9. SullivanSeptic

Ive posted them all over this site. I'll get some more with my wideout and new salt dogg shpe2000 vbox.

10. SullivanSeptic

What u want pics of? Hopefully not the exhaust. Its filthy from a badly leaking transfer case spitting fluid on it for the last year. But at least my truck has a nice undercoating on it now. Lol

11. plowguy43

Mine has the same issue but is an older dodge.

Id like to see it in summer trim if possible, love those late model GMs

12. SullivanSeptic

First one is a while ago. I still had decals, mouldings and badges. They are all off now. Second is from about a month ago. In true summer mode.

Duramax Summer.jpg

618.jpg

13. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

I have a 09 on stock 17s and towing my 24 ft enclosed trailer with my 87 rx7 in it going about 75ish I got 13.2 mpg. Empty going to Chicago i got 20.3 going there And coming back to mn I got 20.7. I have EFI live with a dsp5 tuned by nick At duramaxtuner dot com with a black mbrp turbo back exhaust. Pretty soon I'm going to be doing an egr delete, converter, And a trans tune. For the plow, well today I just hung a 8 foot fisher HD on it. Doesn't even drop an inch at full lift, all I have done to it is a rough country level lift on stock 265/70/17.

14. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds like if he buys the truck he should do an exhaust system and a tuner or would he be better to keep it as is.

15. plowguy43

Awesome looking truck Sullivan! The center caps completely change those hummer rims.

Plowman03- any diesel needs the EGR system removed to be reliable and get better mileage. The Diesel engine was never designed to reburn soot.

16. SullivanSeptic

Thanks. I work the crap out of it. This truck has paid for itself two times over already. And only 108,000 miles on it.

17. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks, when I talk to him I will let him know what he can do to get better mileage out of that truck.

18. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

My 08 3500 just turned 100,000. Its stock, i get 15 around town, 19 highway!