1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about spreading straight sand

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bosman, Nov 30, 2009.

1. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I have a customer that wants me to spread sand only on their streets totalling about 3/4 mile by 12 feet wide. I've never spread anything but salt. How much sand and how often, should I just barely cover the streets or lay it on heavy? And should it be done more often than salt? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Depending on how heavy you spread it, you could easily get by with a couple yards of sand. You probably should have some salt mixed in though.

Sand is not for melting, it is strictly for traction and tends to need to be reapplied more often. Your application rate will depend on the conditions. If you've got a lot of packed snow and ice, then you'll want to lay it heavy, but if you get a fairly clean scrape and just need some light traction, then spread it light.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will need some salt in the sand to keep it from freezing. You can mix it pretty light, 12-1. I think there is someone here from Alaska who spreads unsalted sand. He keeps it indoors, and puts it down fast.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

we lay sand only and find it isn't too bad, but we use a very coarse sand, it goes from about 1/4 inch aggregate down to fine sand, one of the gravel companies came up with this mix, and it works great for not having it freeze up on you.

5. bosman

bosman Senior Member

OK I just found out the county uses concrete sand mixed with #9' limestone which is a 1/4 inch and smaller, I think I'll try this first mixed with a little salt. This is second year on this account and they've requested for sand to only be spread if conditions are expected to last for 3 days or more. I responded by telling them I am lucky to have a 24 hour notice on an ice event and would have no way of accurately predicting 3 days in advance, I think they mean that if its suppose to warm up don't salt.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You don't need to worry about predicting an ice event if you are sanding. You have to wait for it to end before you can put any sand down.

7. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Never mind, when I read the title, I thought you were talking about going to a Proctologist. :laughing:

8. kjbprd

kjbprd Junior Member

most gravel pits provide some sort of premixed sand/salt aggregate...the company i work for provides 3 types for instance...