1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about replacing front brakes

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SDlawndawg, Mar 7, 2003.

1. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I've got about 45,000 miles on my 01 F-250 Superduty and am about to replace the front pads and rotors. I've pulled rotors on my 2wd ford but not 4wd. What special tools if any will I need and what am I going to have to do to get them off?

Can I get away with just having the rotors turned? I've heard that is a bad idea.

2. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

Why do you want to replace the rotors??? At 45,000 miles they should be fine unless they are warped and you have a pulsation in the pedal. If that is the case turning them will just make them thinner and more likely to warp again. However you can probably get away with turning them once before replacement. Either way you need to remove them to go get them turned,in which Case you need a ford spindle nut socket which you can get at autozone or similar for about $20. Assuming that you truck is the same as my f-150 removing the rotors isn't that hard but it is more work. You need to remove the cap on the hub and then there is a spring or clip holding the locking hub in there,remove the locking hub and use that socket to remove the spindle nut and associated washers. Then the hub and rotor assembly should come off,be careful not to drop the wheel bearing because they will come out also. Separating the hub from the rotor is a different story depending on how rusted they are. Soak the joints with penetrating oil and use a hammer and punch or chisel to separate them. Chilton's has a detailed breakdown or the removal process.

3. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Thanks for the response. The rotors were simple to remove. After I pulled the caliper, they slid off the hub. I took them to my local autoparts store where they measured them and said they could turn them down with no problem.

4. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

I would look into some cold steel rotors because they are less likely to warp. Thats if you do need to replace them
    -NICK