1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions About Recovery Chains Vs. Straps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelettuceman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Can I put something together at Lowes / Home Depot? Any on line sellers that you recommend? What are the minimum specs that I should be looking at? Thanx for your help / Rick
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I use 4" X 30' straps that are rated for 40k pounds, using a clevis on each end to attached through the eyes of the strap. If I have to use a chain it's very seldom and I generally have to use them as a short choker to hook the strap via a clevis.
    When comes to stuff like this don't go cheap, but quality and replace it when it's questionable. the last thing you want if to have either of them to break while under tension, besides failing, damaging your truck they can also take you or someone else out.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

With the yank straps you get a more gentle pull. You don't get the bang like a chain. When it takes the weight. So you can stay in forward motion when it takes the weight.
    I have some small bungee cords I wrap around the hooks and strap so they stay in-place. The hooks come loose they will fly right back at you. Yank straps are cheaper then chain too. Less weight. I use the small bungees to hold them into a bundle for easy handling and storage.
  4. thelettuceman

Buff & Micki: Thank you for your advice. I bought 4" x 30' recovery strap rated for 40k pounds. I also bought Anchor Shackles rated at 4.75 tons. Check out US Cargo Control. Very good web site when it comes to this stuff.
  5. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

looks like a good site
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My best recovery weapon was a piece of hand spliced 3/4 twisted nylon. Put the metal eyes in each end. Kept a three foot piece of 5/16 galvanized chain in the truck. Grab hook on one end, slip hook on the other. I could hook onto anything with that setup.
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try not to get stuck. If you do, just stand outside your truck waving a 20 .00 dollar bill in your hand!
  9. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I use chains for the simple reason i already have them for chaining down equipment throughout the year. You can use whatever you have as long as your gentle....Pull slow and gentle, dont try to yank a truck out of a snowbank
  10. MickiRig1

Another tip for recover from getting stuck. Carry a pointed regular shovel and a flat if you got it. They dig much better in old snow banks and compacted snow then a snow shovel. Part of my ballast in the back is 2 - 50 pound bags of salt, they can come in handy.

I wonder some storms if you could make good money just pulling people out of the snow. Get a J hook like the tow trucks use to hook the frame. Have a smart phone with the credit card app. Good to go for payment.
  11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Straps are safer b/c if something breaks having nylon strapping flying through the air is safer than steel flying through the air, aside from the shock cushioning that prevents carnage on the attachment points.
  12. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

If you use a chain put a floor mat or two over the middle and rase the hood up on the car truck so if it brakes its not the windsheld.
    i have seen chain fale I like a snatch strap. I try not to hook im not a recovery driver I was and know how. You shoud check with your.
    insurance to see if it will cover you.
  13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, I've had straps break on me, but always get nervous when using a chain so I make sure it's a light load
  14. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Do you have towing insurance? I'll clue you that you can do some serious damage to a car pulling it wrong and tow insurance isn't cheap.
  15. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Do you mean like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO1jsO9MrnM

16. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

I prefer straps for a lot of reason's; cheaper, lighter weight, easier to handle, never rust and don't rot, plus do less damage then a chain or cable when it breaks. ALWAYS pull slowly and NEVER jerk on it.

We only ever pull other plowers out and each other, never anyone else. We also do lots of off roading and have recovered vehicles from many fun places. Anytime you do a recovery it costs time, time is something precious in a storm, if the plow is not on a customer property, we arn't making money.
  17. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Two things
    1 im glade you went with a strap of that size
    2 Recovery may or may not be your job. If it isn't let the tow truck do it. If you do it for 20 bucks you are low balling
    Him most of the time they are oncommission nothing pi$$ed me off more was get to the job site to find out the vehicle was not there they have a job just like we do ill get off my box now
  18. Deershack

Deershack Senior Member

Here's a suggestion for those of you who use straps or anything else that can get tangled when not in use. I cut old inner tubes into "binders" of various widths and use them to wrap around straps, jumper cables, ropes and so on. I use tubes of all sizes from bike to truck tubes.
  19. thelettuceman

Not going in the towing/recovery business. I want one in my truck just in case .....
  20. MickiRig1

In that video. You have that many dudes you could of picked up that car and moved it 3 feet sideways. Or pushed it out forward. It's not like it's in the middle of a field or on top of a big snow drift. That's why you have a J hook too. You hook into a hole in the frame to pull on. Not a bumper support or axle.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011