1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Pro Wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MattR, Dec 22, 2009.

1. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a set of Pro Wings possibly next week. A few things I was wondering though is...

How is the durability of the edges when plowing gravel driveways. I am thinking that the gravel might tear them up fairly fast. Anybody else use them on a regular basis for gravel drives? The majority of my customers have gravel drives (90%).

How well do they work when plowing the apron of a blacktop driveway. Do they leave a bunch of snow lay there or make the plow trip?

Also any other pros and/or cons you can think of would be helpfull in my decision to purchase.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I added them and my first storm was these past 2 days. I think they are a great product. They held up well and seem durable. I didnt notice extra trails or anything and they saved me time. I have about 6 or 7 gravel drive and I raise the plow a little anyway. I think you would be fine.

[​IMG]

This second pic I slid down a hill and ended up here.

[​IMG]

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

do an advanced search for Grn Mtn, and under the subject type ProWings. I have posted a bunch about them, plus some mods I made for more durability.

4. Grn Mtn

5. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Just installed my set. Cant wait to try them out and see how they do.

6. Grn Mtn

just remember when using them don't slam into hard (ice) snow banks or grind curbs.

oh and keep a small box in the truck to put the wing pins in when not using them, this way you don't lose one.... in the snow on the way from the truck to plow or back, but also handy for in the truck too.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

How'd you slide down a hill? Any damage from that tree? Did you get out under your own power? Definitely a big storm you guys got.

8. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

I like Pro Wings

Never used them on gravel but other than that we have been running them on five plows for many years and they work very well. Not any good for packed ice and snow, but if you hit it before it's packed down they work really well for us.

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

First I tried to back up and push down. Then I tried to power up plow half down to get to the crest where it flattens on top. Thats when I was backing down and had no stopping power. I couldnt just release brake because the end of the drive there is 50 feet before you are in the bay. There is a stone wall on the left and trees on the right. I got lucky and didnt hit a thing. I shoveled and powered out in only 10 to 15 mins. I put some salt down on the drive and left. I am gonna go back today and put more salt down and get it to bare before I do the top. Luckily this is a summer house they use on weekends. Also It got icy cause town blocked me in and I couldnt do it till a day and a half after the storm. So it melted and refroze on me.

[​IMG]

I have a couple more pics here...Same property.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=94253

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Wings
    the rubber wings wear at the same rate as your metal cutting edge.

As someone said, you can move iced over piles with them and they do get bent if you hit too many curbs.
    They don't do really great cleanup along edges and if you do a lot of winrowing to one side, it's best to take that side off. (it will flow better and have less bleed over onto the cleanside)

But wings are easily 20 to 30% faster than a straight blade on anything except roads (where they really don't matter)

Driving off hillside picture.

I hope you charged a TON for that driveway. some driveways are better just to walk away from. That does not look like fun.

11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I do get good coin for it and they have been good to me. Last year it was dirt, this year its paved. I think the dirt gave me better tractions.

12. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am glad to hear about the no trails thing. I sometimes get a bit too picky during my final cleanup and try to make sure every last line of snow is in the pile. Sorry to see how you slid off of that driveway though. Good thing you didn't hit anything.

Thanks for the link to the other post with the mods. I will be putting the angle on like you did and I do like the light addons you made. Right now I have my passenger light aimed way down and the driver side is mainly aimed for driving on the road. As far as the small box, I already have a small one to keep spare pins in and that gets put in a nice spot in the storage tray behind the seat. I am the type that loses that stuff otherwise.

Happy to see they last for a few years. As far as packed ice/snow, majority of my drives are gravel. Once a few inches gets packed down on those, it is a hard surface anyways.

Thanks for the tip about removing one side for windrowing. I thought about asking that after I logged off last night.

As far as them wearing the same as the metal cutting edge, would the gravel drives tend to make the rubber split faster?

Thanks for all the great replies so far. It is greatly appreciated since I like to make sure I am well informed, good and bad, before making any purchases.

Thanks, Matt

13. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

One thing you do need to remember is you have to have a steel blade. And you will be drilling a 1.5 hole through the front of it. This was not a fun task. And if for some reason you dont use them anymore the hole is still there. My point is once you get them you pretty much have to use them. Dont know if they would benifit you that much for driveways. More parking lot equipment.

14. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I only take them off if I have a LOT of windrowing to one side (or there's a ton--foot plus) of snow. I'm lazy, I don't like getting out of the truck.

I've never split the rubber, I do a couple gravel places (and it's not typically below freezing here, so you end up doing a road plowing before the road finally freezes). I don't think that should be a concern. They wear out, they cost about $40 (or make your own) and when I replace the blade, I replace (actually flip them over) the rubber.

Best couple hundred bucks you'll ever spend. Very productive for the money.

15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

love wings...won't plow without em.

16. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Yep I have a steel blade. As far as drilling holes, I do not mind since the wings should cut my time down by a bunch. The driveways I normally plow are not like a city driveway. These are out in the country and usually 2 cars wide and not always close to the road. Then most have a big section where they like to turn around and also park. Not huge, yet if I can cut some time down for each job it will not only get me done a bit sooner, also might allow me to take on a few more customers.

I seen someplace that they were that price for replacing them. You mentioned making your own replacement blades. I haven't seen them yet since most in this area use v-plows or just a straight blade and no wings. Are they basically like a semi-tractor mud flap? or stiffer? I always like making things on my own when possible and I do have some semi mud flaps in the garage.

Matt

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  17. plowguy43

You can re-weld the holes or by round top bolts to go in their place if you don't want a little snow going through there- no big deal. I'm considering these as well, should definitely cut down time and help with stacking/cleaning up trails as they form a small scoop.

18. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Well I went back today and beat the driveway. Notice the water at the end of the drive.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. plowguy43

Oh man, thank god for that tree if you slid down there in an ice storm.

20. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

If I was lucky enough to hit the tree.