1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about pre- app with liquids

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Derekg, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Derekg

Derekg Junior Member

I have been trying liquid calcium as a pre app and have not had much success. Any tips?

2. capital

capital Senior Member

could you provide more info.............I E what is your disappointment or what exactly are your trying to do with your pre apps? What were you expecting to do and what are your results that your getting this far.

3. Derekg

Derekg Junior Member

I am using liquid calcium and was trying to use the product to burn off snowfalls of less than an inch. We have had limited success in the parking lots and little to no success using it on sidewalks. As a post app and for pre treating salt it works great.

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've never had much luck using it after the fact either. It will snap, crackle and pop, but that's about it. Pretreating will prevent any ice from sticking to the area treated. It works pretty good on dustings also. It just forms a layer that will not allow the ice to bond to the area treated. It does however make for a sloppy mess when trying to use a small snow blower. THe problem I have had and I'm sure everyone else this year, is all the rain. You put it down and all the rain washes it off before it snows. Waste of time and money I think. I could be wrong though.

5. capital

capital Senior Member

If you are trying to burn off an inch of snow it will not work for that. As pointed out if you have a rain infront of a snow fall then it will wash away your product. this year has been down side on weather acting correctly so you can get your pre app down infront of snow. I have seen liquid Mag used to burn parking lots after snow has been pushed. After looking at systems and talking to those who use them realized in my market they were not factoring the wear and tear on their equipment. So we continue to use salt treated with mag and use trucks equipped with spreaders. On the salt brine it is a great product if u use it to keep snow and ice from bonding to parking lots. The benefit is you need less product to melt your parking lot after you push it and you will also notice less wear and tear on your trucks and cutting blades.

6. Derekg

Derekg Junior Member

What is being used to apply liquids to sidewalks/ We use a four-wheeler with a sprayer and have 3 trucks with 200 gallon tanks with 50' hoses. Is there anything that works any better?

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just use a tank sprayer with a 100' hose in the back of my truck hooked up to a battery. You can buy tanks with booms, but you are talking some bucks. If you have the work to make it worth your while, go for it. I don't.

8. Blizzard Plower

Blizzard Plower Junior Member
    from Il

You need something in it to keep it there.

IT evaporates.

9. Derekg

Derekg Junior Member

Are you using calcium or mag ?

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What does this mean?

I do not have any experience with CaCl, but we have been using Caliber for pre-treating. The amount of snow melted is dependent on the moisture content of the snow and also the application rate. What rates are you using for application? What kind of snow have you been receiving? What kind of nozzles are you using?

I can guarantee that the CaCl is doing it's job, but it might be misapplied or the results might be less than what you were told to expect.

The best use for liquids, IMO, is to prevent the bond of snow to pavement, anti-icing. At least in the Eastern US where the snow usually has more moisture. We've been able to melt an inch before with Caliber, but only if it is lake effect snow. Otherwise we have not had any luck with it melting down enough to prevent plowing or shoveling. Out West, where the snow is usually dry and the air is drier, is where it works better for anti-icing and de-icing.

11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The biggest problem this year is having it wash off with the rain.