1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about plowing with Ford Ranger

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Brandon, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Brandon

Brandon Member

Hi folks...I just bought a '97 Ford Ranger (Regular Cab, Long Bed, 3.0, 5-speed, 4x4 of course). I will be plowing my driveway and my garage driveway, which is on a separate property. I am going with a 6'6" S/U Western Unimount. I won't be plowing alot, but I like to be prepared. I plan on upping the amperage on the alternator, getting better tires, ballast, etc. I was wondering what I should do with the front suspension? Would timbrens be sufficient or would airbags be a better choice? Also, what else should be upgraded? This is my first personal plow vehicle, but I have plowed before.

2. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

In my opinion, Timbrens or air-lift springs would be just fine. There are drawbacks to each, though.

Timbrens help handle extra weight well, but they can make the truck ride worse when the plow is off. They usually bolt in place of the factory bump-stops.

Airbags also work well, but have the benefit of adjustability. Air up when the plow goes on, drop it when it's off. The drawbacks, as I see them, are that you do need an air supply to fill them (not that big of a deal), and that they can leak or get cut/abraded. Timbrens are kind of a put-it-in and forget about it.

Either way, you're doing better than without anything, and it sounds like you'll have a pretty good setup.

3. Brandon

Brandon Member

Thanks for the suggestions....do run Timbrens or airbags?

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The long and short of the debate was covered really well in the previous post. I had a Bronco with a plow and I ran air bags. I had a small compressor on board and pushed a button to fill the bags. They did leak a bit and had to air them up abou tevery three or four days with the plow on. When I had the plow off I simply removed all the compressed air and was off and running. Ine tip with airbags, do not let the air out before you remove the blade. You can actually let out too much air and possibly cavitate the bags and they can rip.

An air bag set up with a compressor can cost you about $300 or so. Timbrens are abou t1/2 that cost and are way easier and quicker to install.