1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about plowing with a 00 F250 7.3 PSD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Neil64, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Hello all,

I have a 00 F250, 7.3 PSD, Super Cab, Long Bed, 4X4 with a 166K on the clock. I have boost, EGT and trans temp gauges as well as 4” exhaust and a DP Tuner. I plan to (have) transfer my Meyer EZ Classic, E60 and ST 7.5 on to this truck from my 95 F250. I plan to plow about 5 residential driveways per snowfall in Maryland (25 minutes East of Washington, DC).

I have several concerns that I hope you all can help me with.

First, my truck has 5200lb springs, VA code I believe. My ball joints have been recently replaced as well as the passenger side leaf spring (previous owner). Should I worry about sagging or tearing up the front suspension if I don’t exceed this amount of plowing? What about transporting the plow to and from a Meyer dealer – about 50 miles round trip? The truck sits pretty level. Does anyone have an idea of the weight added to the front end from the mounting carton, tube frame, pump, lights (everything except the A frame and mold board)? I probably would keep this stuff on year around unless I had to remove it due to weight or unless I find it easy to do by myself.

Second, how much weight should I put in the bed when plowing and is this a must?

Third, I currently have Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16 Load Range E (3415lbs@80psi) tires mounted on the OEM alloys wheels (polished 8 bullet hole style) all the way around. Will these tires get the job done in snow or would I be better off switching to B F Goodrich A/T 285/75/16 Load Range Ds (3305lbs@65psi)? Load Range E’s are not rated for severe snow in 285/75/16 for some reason. Does anyone know what the weight rating is for OEM alloys? Anyone with a 7.3 PSD plowing with them?

Fourth, I plan to have a Meyer dealer install the plow and wiring on the 00. I also plan to have the fluid flushed but the dealers I have spoken with recommend tearing apart the pump for inspection, cleaning and new O rings. This scares me a little based on experiences that you guys have posted on this forum about leaks, malfunctions, etc. after tear downs. I am a “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it” kind of guy and to date, I believe the E60 has not been torn apart and still wears factory Meyer paint. It always works and I see no pitting on the lift rod. Are there any tell tale signs that I can look for that will persuade me to authorize a tear down versus a fluid change? I assume that the fluid in the A frame should be changed as well? Is this easily done?

Thanks in advance.

2. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Can anyone help me out?
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the plow is kind of narrow for that truck. you may want to buy a set of wings for it. (at the least). Its just really narrow for that truck.

six hundred lbs behind the rear tires wouldnt hurt. not that you really need that much but would help with traction too.

honestly most of what your worried about i wouldnt worry about.
    your only plowing five driveways and have a 3/4 ton.. the tires i wouldnt worry about. the plow it wouldnt hurt to have them look it over but i wouldnt put much into it.
    are these really long or bad driveways or something?

your near dc. too. You dont get much snow there.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

you will be fine put the plow on and go to work
  5. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Long Driveways

Driveways are long - 75' - 125'. Are the Michelin LTX M/S good for deep snow?

As for plow width, I am reusing what I already have. I'd like to get a new plow that easily removes but I can't justify the price when I already have a perfectly good EZ Classic.

Does anyone know how much the EZ Classic tube, E60, and Night Saber lights weight? I'd like to take everything off during the spring, summer and fall but it doesn't look like a one man job without a front loader?

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Obviously the truck can handle the plow. I agree the plow is a little narrow, but if its all you have, and for driveways it should work. When plowing curves you will run over the inside edge of the snow especially with the plow angled.
    I hated my MTX M/S tires, I replaced them early just to get them off my truck. I really like Cooper ATR and BFG A/T for plowing. I am sure there are several others but out of all the tires I have used I like these the best so far.
  7. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Thanks for the responses. You guys put my mind at ease regarding tearing up the truck with the plow due to the weight of the diesel engine. And reusing my setup off of my 95 F250 is for the economics. I don't believe I would get fair value trying to sell the 95 with the plow, plus having to buy one for the 2000 F250. Why are mounting cartons so expensive now?

Does anyone know how much the Meyer E60, tube, lights and mounting carton weigh?

Does anyone know the weight rating for Ford OEM 16" alloys? Seems to me that I should look into weight ratings of the wheels just like I do the tires.

I plan on getting the BFG A/T 285/75/16 Load Range D on the truck within the next 2 weeks but it was 70 degrees here yesterday and snow doesn't seem likely anytime soon. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i have absolutly no idea but am quite positive you dont need to worry about it
  9. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

When plowing I see this type of truck all the time plowing (I own 2). It will handle what you have plus a ton more. I have never seen a superduty falling apart when plowing.
  10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I just re-read the OP's post and realized the truck side of the plow mount will not work, completely different frames.