1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about plowing in Virginia?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 1996Ram2500, Oct 27, 2004.

1. 1996Ram2500

1996Ram2500 Junior Member

I'd like to say hello to everyone. I just registered, I own a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 (with a western plow mount, but no plow).

What size plow do you recommend for my truck?

I'd also like to to ask about plowing in Northern Virginia, is it worth it? Anyone doing it? Don't worry, I'm not going to lowball to get jobs, my plan was to work for another company, one that pays (I believe) about $65 an hour.

In the mid-90s my friend plowed snow (in a 1994 dodge ram 1500) he made decent money, but then we had 3 years of good snow. It hasn't been that good since, but people do plow around here.

My goal was to buy a plow during the summer and try to get a used one cheap, but that didn't work out (too busy). I've noticed prices are a lot higher now...between $2000 and $3000. Looks like I'd be lucky to break even this year, unless we get a lot of snow!

So, any VA/DC/MD plowers around here?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  2. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

There are a bunch of us on here. Do you have the wiring on your truck as well? If so, you should be able to find a plow for a pretty decent price still. BTW i live in Arlington, but all my work is in MD(PG and Montgomery counties) where my office is
  3. A Finer Cut

A Finer Cut Junior Member

Plowing is good in this area. I am doing all of my work in Reston this year and actually need help. Of course no one can guarantee snow but I do have work for you if it does. I can pay you competitevely with rates around the area. Oh, one other piece of advice, I wouldnt buy a plow looking for a one winter turn around (Though you may very well see just that this winter) but buy it as an investment.
  4. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Finer Cut, Getting my Blizzard put on in 2 weeks and looking for some sub work. Have a 99 Tahoe 1500. Live in Annandale, but willing to drive out to Dulles for some plow work if I have to. Doing contractor work right now, but looking to supplement the income when the snow flies! Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you my phone#/email.