1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions about my western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Slate, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Slate

Slate Member

I have a few questions about my plow. It is an older MVP 8'6" unimount on a 99 Ford F-350 7.3L Diesel.

First, how do you guys keep your power wire terminal from corroding? I had to take it off mid season and file some corrosion off the terminal and the battery terminal itself? The battery terminal is tight, so I'm not sure why it is doing it so bad.

Second, I got a quote for the driver side ram for $313 is that a normal price, or is there a better one? Is there a quality issue between aftermarket and factory?

Finally, I'm having a headlight issue. When the plow is hooked up only my truck headlights came on. So I put in good relays and turned the lights on and neither my truck or plow lights came on. So I replaced the plow bulbs and the truck and plow lights still wouldn't come on.

I'm pretty sure since the truck lights didn't come on when I switched relays that it is somewhere in the wiring, but it is a rats nest from the previous truck. I think my next move is to cut off the old terminals and splice on new female spades for the relays. Is that a good step, or should I looks somewhere else?

Thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Clean the eyelets and apply dielectric grease or the battery terminal spray.
    The headlights, need to Ck for pwr and gnd at the relay pins with the plow hooked up

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Corrosion is part of life with the electric over hydraulic plow. At the battery you need to clean away the acid with backing soda and water. When it bubbles it is reacting with battery acid. When it stops bubbling you know it's neutralized. Then you can apply some dielectric grease there too. There are two kinds of battery spray, the first is an acid neutralizer (baking soda and water) and the second kind is a greasy film that seals it and reduces future corrosion (like dielectric grease). As said above, the grill plugs need some dielectric grease to keep them from oxidizing especially in the off season. Be sure you have the little rubber boots and or plug the two compatible plugs together (lights and controls on yours I suspect) to keep them clean and dry.

Prices range widely from place to place for rams. There are good quality and bad aftermarket, it's a crap-shoot. Since they are double acting rams they will be more expensive than those for a straight blade, shop around. Here in Canada I often order parts out of the States and get them shipped for a lot less than I can buy them for locally.

As for headlight problems.... Rat nest?? That is generally what those old relay systems look like. If the spade connectors are badly corroded it would be a good idea to replace them but be systematic about it. Since they are loose change them one at a time so you don't get the wires mixed up. Minimum four relays each with five connections, it's easy to get a couple wires crossed. Have a look at this link:
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    Page 87 starts the section on the old relay MVPs If you have any electrical skills you will be able to troubleshoot your system with this, if this look like gobeldy-gook to you then it's time to either upgrade to an isolation module or hire someone to fix it for you.
    Upgrading to the new 3 port isolation module would cost $500 or more but would eliminate all the relays. As long as you have three plugs at your grill you would only have to replace the truck side harnesses.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  4. Slate

Slate Member

I have the 2 plug system. As far as the relays go, when I switched them out I would hold an old one and a new one in my hand in the same direction and pull one wire at a time and move it to the new one. That way I didn't get the wires mixed up, since I didn't know what does to what.

As for the angle ram. The part number I got was 56709w, it is a 2x10". Does that ram fit only the 8.5 plows or does it fit the 7.5 and the 9.5 as well?

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

56709w is the correct cylinder for any unimount MVP, so yes it works on the 9.5 also. current list is $313.19, and most distributors would take something off of that.

and Mishnick, he has relay wiring, converting to iso would be way more than $500.

6. dieselss

So it's test light time at the relays

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I brought a new one the other day. Glows red for positive green for ground and had volt meter. Similar to power probe but a test light

Snapon eect400

8. mishnick

Two wire MVP, that is old.... I should have known that when he said relays.... Yes it would be a lot of money especially since he would have to replace the plow side harnesses too.

The good thing about that relay system is that you can just pull all the relays & the headlight harness and install a switch to manually go from plow to truck. If the wires are really bad and you can't get it working that is an option. But with the schematics, some patience and a good test light, as mentioned above, you should be able to fix it.

Looking at the electrical schematic book I couldn't find the relays for the MVP two plug so have a look at this link to the older MVP mechanic's guide:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/21857_061503_web.pdf
    This shows several schematics for the MVP relay system and path of power etc... I saw only two relays and single headlights so if that's what you have then this should really help.

I am curious... is your reservoir on the bottom or on the side kind of horizontally mounted?

Something interesting to note about your system is that your headlights on the plow run in parallel. That is to say high beam has one pin at the plug and low beam has one pin so if you have a problem with one of those pins you loose both lights on the plow, either both highs or both lows. Soon after your model Western upgraded to the three plug system where each headlight had interdependent wires and pins for each lamp and each beam on the plow. It provided 12 pins just for lights and another 12 pin plug for function controls. This way if you lost a wire or pin only one headlight, one beam failed. Some relay systems had that redundant feature but with the MVP 12 pins was just enough for all the extra functions of the V blade, there was no room for this advantage.

9. Slate

Slate Member

My reservoir is mounted horizontally.i can get some better pictures this weekend. Also my plow is a two plug two relay plow.

[​IMG]

10. mishnick

That is what I thought you had, so the last link to the mechanic's guide is specifically for your unit. With only two relays it should be easy to track down your headlight problems.

11. Slate

Slate Member

Mishnick, do you know if the Part #56709w is the same for all 3 sizes of plows or if its just for the 8.5

12. mishnick

There is only one part number for the old style MVP. Same double acting ram for all sizes. See the parts poster in this link:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/64681.06_091509_for_Web.pdf

The angle ram doesn't actually have an item number but if you look at the "Rams" table (lower left of the poster) you will see the breakdown of the two rams (angle and lift), top right of that table shows that there is only one ram option. Nealybird was correct with his part number....

13. Slate

Slate Member

14. mishnick

New ram comes with no fittings, just plastic plugs. If there are elbow fittings you should be able to re-use them unless the o-ring or threads are damaged. They are common orb to pipe elbows, you should be able to buy them locally at the same place as you get your ram. They are not proprietary Western fittings or anything weird.

15. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Keep the relays that work

16. Slate

Slate Member

Alright, so I had my truck in my buddies shop sunday and we found out why the lights weren't working. He is a boss guy and apparently on Western plows you have to splice the marker lights in so it activates the relays to switch the power to the plow lights. We ran a jumper wire from the relay to the positive and it clicked the plow lights on. So we spliced into the marker light and finished that and the plow lights work now.

It wasn't until we stopped to get fuel on the way home that I realized that when the lights are on and I hit the up or right/left button on the controller that my truck lights click on. The plow lights are still on but the truck lights will light up when ever I hit any button but down on the controller. Any Ideas?

Also, now that I put a new ram on the driver side ram. The passenger side ram is leaking now. With that said, does anyone have a link for the packing nut/O-ring. It is a seperate thing or package? Thanks.

17. dieselss

Ck what wire you have coming from the solenoid, I think you have the hot wire going to the wrong side. It needs to be moved to constant power

18. Slate

Slate Member

I'm not sure what you are talking about? The solenoid is wired how it was when it came off the other truck.

19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Pictures help

20. dieselss

You had to remove wires to take it off the trk.
    And x2 pictures help