1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about my new Saltdogg tgs07

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JCark, Nov 4, 2011.

1. JCark

JCark Member

I have some questions about this salter. When I first turn it on it starts at the fastest speed for about 5 seconds and then drops down to the speed I have the dial set to. Is it supposed to do that? To me it seems that it waists salt.

The other issue I'm having is that every once and a while when I turn it on, Ill get the 'F' on the display which stands for a blown fuse, but all I have to do is turn it off and back on and it will work again. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why it might do that?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!:drinkup:
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They all (electric powered) do it. The initial start up speed is called either a "jackrabbit" start or a"burst, no matter what you call it it is a high burst of amperage designed to assure the unit starts against a load. Fill that puppy to the brim with wet material and it will need it just to get the auger moving.

Check for poor connections, a loose fuse, connection, etc in the wiring, or it could be a fault within the box.

Take it back to your dealer and have him check it.
  3. JCark

JCark Member

Well I'm glad its supposed to start up fast and that it does.

Now I've noticed that if I keep the speed at 9 it works just fine, but, if I bring it down to 5 it will work for a min or 2 and then stop and ill get the F on the display. Now, again, if I shut it off and turn it back on it will start working and then eventually do the same thing and quit.

I've checked everything; the voltage, the wiring, the grease on the bearing, the connections, the fuses. At this point I'm at a loss. I'm extremely disappointed and I hope buyers will take care of me if the distributor doesn't.

I guess I'm even more upset because I bought it from R.H. Scales, a local place in Albany NY and paid $500 more than I had to if I were to buy it online. I did that so I would have it in time for a storm we were supposed to get but didn't.

So now I guess Ill start with calling RH Scales Monday, and then follow up with buyers. If anyone has any other ideas as to why this unit is doing this please help! I would rather not go through bothering the distributor or the manufacturer if its an easy fix, Thanks all.