1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

questions about liquids (for kubota- and others(

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snremo_by_tm, Dec 17, 2012.

1. snremo_by_tm

snremo_by_tm Junior Member

Hi Kubota, I am investigating liquids, and from reading about your brine makers and the details you give I see you somewhat as an authority on the subject, but I do encourage others to join in the discussion.

I understand there is savings by being able to use less rock salt and calcium chloride (you say 4:1 for rock salt) but how much faster does your 90/10 brine compared to the 90/10 dry blend to melt snow and ice? in other words, does using less solids in the solution yield better, worse, or the same results in terms of time to melt.

In my area, we have a lot of hard packed ice and snow, that thaws and refreezes. I took off 3.5 inches of ice from a new customers driveway last weekend and it was -16c(3.2F). I couldn't get under it even though I hand spread about 40# salt and It was I guess 20x20' driveway and I re-applied 5 or 6x. And our area gets air temps below -30c(-22F). Given those temps, I don't know if a 90/10 liquid mix is going to give me the high performance results I'm looking for.

I have heard some claim that different chlorides work better together when blended than any one salt, what are other guys' experiences with this? I'm finding salt blends to be expensive in my area, I can charge people accordingly, of course, but will I be using 75% less CaCl if I went with a CaCl solution. I think if I used a backpack sprayer with CaCl, just to do spots, I will get better results and have to carry less solution around, and be effective at -30c(-22F)

Just got on this site, and I'm reading a lot, great info on here. I don't know if anyone is using liquids around here.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the site, a lot of good reading.