1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Boss vee plow problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dluckett, Feb 22, 2004.

1. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

I'm relatively new to the list but notices a few comments about problems with Boss vee plows. I recently replaced a Boss 8.5 straight with a 9.2 poly vee and this maybe a little late but what problems might I be looking for? The reason for the switch was because of running drive lanes in condo complexes became a real pain when you have garage doors on both sides and no place to go with the snow...

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry, I can't help you with the V, I run a Meyers. Talked to you on the site earlier today, where are you located in SW Ohio?

3. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

Cincinnati on the west side...

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's what figured, talking about Condo's and such. This site is pretty dead right now. If we don't get some snow pretty soon, there won't be anyone on here, except us bored people. I would start pruning now, except all my customers res & commercial are all spoiled, they want it done closer to Labor Day. Probably my fault, as I try to accomadate them as much as possible, and listen to what they say and want. I try to get 2 prunings, one in May and one in the fall, I used to have customers that I would prune in Feb and then again in the middle of the season. They also don't want mulched in March and have it look like crap for the Holidays.

5. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

This year I think we will try to get back into the actual lawn maintenance side. Used to have a mowing/ maintenance crew but couldn't keep dependable help so got away from that side. the past few years have said no to a little too much business, especially commercial, that I figured waht the heck we'l give it another shot, maybe the planets are lined up better this time....

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's pretty much all that we do. All of the other work comes from the mowing customers. Fert, mulch, pruning, water gardens, weed control and snow removal/salt, stone work, planting, leaves etc. Just suggestive selling and word of mouth. I'm small, just myself, my son and usually a couple of his college buddies. I do some subcontracting mowing also, 2 large apt complexes for a neighbor in the business. Probably half of my accts, we do everything, all 4 seasons.

7. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

Most of my work is in the irrigation and landscape lighting end. We have a couple of commercial accounts that we do all of the grounds maintenance for them and we do all the winter stuff plowing/ salting. It's an association with my brother's company, we kind of sub off of each other. He does the design/ build of the landscape and I do the rest. In the winter we have run 5-7 trucks and 3 bobcats 4-5 trucks are ours and the others are subs.... the majority of the work comes from hotels, office buildings and complexes, a large shopping center, and some smaller stuff. I try to stay away from the small stuff too much chance of running off the edge of driveways doing turf and irrigation damage that I would have to repair in the spring for free...

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm fortunate to be in Delaware County, most of my resedential stuff is very high end, $300,000 and up. My charge is, handle it, if it needs it, do it. My commercial stuff, is as it is, usually the whole ball of wax. They want 1 stop shopping, you know, only dealing with 1 person all year long. I don't want to have to repair stuff either, however, with the amount of work I get from them, if I have to sow and little bit of grass seed for free, that's a piece of cake. I used to do a Patio home complex, every year it seemed like we were repairing irrigation systems that we hit while edging beds, small price to pay for the size of the acct. I try to stay away from Condo's and Patio Home places, too many bosses, too much politics. I like offices and resturants and Churches myself.

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We have had a boss 9.2 for 5 years.The biggest problem is they dont seem to want to trip when hitting man hole covers etc. We have broken about 4 cutting edges right at the center.Also expect to break a few wing return springs.The hyd. system has not given any trouble.We hit a curb this season pretty hard and twisted the r.h. mouldboard back about 2 inches.But still works.Also that center snow catcher will fall off if you dont use lok tite on mounting bolts. Catcher is about 70 bucks.

10. capital

capital Senior Member

I would second the feeling on the spacer in the middle of the plow have lost three so far this season. The plow is 3 years old and noticed the other day the springs were wearing out the welds on where they attach to the blade area but other wise we run all boss plows and find them to hold up except for operator error and abuse.

11. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

The design of the center section needs improvement and there are many posts talking about this. I have a Boss 8'2" V and it has saved me a ton of time. I plow alot of townhouse complexes and a few apartment complexes. Some of these lots have garages that face each other. With a straight blade I would clear in front of the garages on one side windrowing eveything to the center (blade not fully angled to cary as much as possible to the end). Then I would work the other side of the garages. Then I would make several pushes down the center. This seemed to take forever. Now with the V plow I make 1 push (sometimes 2) away from the garages and scoop the rest. On these lots my plowing time is cut by at least 30%.

If you are now running the V you already know this.

As far as problems, my Boss has been flawless aside from the center section falling off.

12. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

Butler, Do you have the standard cylinders or the locking ones that keep the wings locked?

13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9'2" blade and have not had any problems, except for the stupid center shoe design. Hopefully my u edge will get here before the storm next week. I have the locking cylinders and they work good. You can still have the blade move if you hit something while backing up.

14. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I have the locking cylinders and they work great for backdragging.

15. dluckett

dluckett Junior Member
    from SW Ohio

Thanks for all the comments... I really think I'm going to enjoy the input from this site...